I Forge Iron

Aussie Brush Fires Leaf Memorial, make and send leaves.

salty

Thanks Frosty, will muriatic work? here is a pic of my second and final leaf for the Oz project, it's a copper leaf, done in the roycroft style, chased and hammered, man it's been a while since I did any fine hammerin, be merciful guys!!

in case you forgot your HS science Muratic sold in pool shops is normaly 30% strength Hydrochloric, read the label:)

This flowering gum nut is made from stainless steel pipe 7/8 inch O.D and just over 1/2 inch I.D. The flower part is made from cutting 1/6 inch s/s welding rod then tig welding onto the gum nut. The nut is ready to be cut off and welded to a stem or cluster of other nuts. Also shown is a leaf that is 7 inches long x 1-1/2 inches wide. 2/20/09

flowering gum nut and leaf - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

flowering gum nut - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

11673.attach

11674.attach

Here are a couple of leaves I have just finished.I couldn't source any stainless rod so I used 5/8" stainless threaded rod and ended up with a bonus, the remnants of the thread formed veins in the leaf (is there a patent on this?). :rolleyes:

11675.attach

G'day everyone,
Here's a pic of a gum leaf and gumnut I did up as a demo yesterday. The leaf is from 12mm (1/2") round and the nut from 17mm (11/16") O.D. tube. So keep them coming and keep posting your pics here.
Oh and sfDuck, thanks for the offer of the maple leaf, but it might stand out a bit on a gum tree!

Cheers,
Paul

11690.attach

11691.attach

Thanks Frosty, will muriatic work? here is a pic of my second and final leaf for the Oz project, it's a copper leaf, done in the roycroft style, chased and hammered, man it's been a while since I did any fine hammerin, be merciful guys!!

I can never remember if muriatic is sulfuric or hydrochloric. Yes in the first case, no in the second. I don't know what concentrations, times or temps though.

Frosty

G'day,
Just a short note to say thanks for all the leaves thus far, keep at it and spread the word.
If you need help with the process, check out The Tree Project where you can download step-by-step tutorials (PDF) for gum leaves and gumnuts as well as some life size templates of real leaves for reference.
You'll also find a bit more information about the project.

Cheers,
Paul

Yes, unless you're making them out of copper, it has to be stainless for the gum leaves and gumnuts. Anything with enough chromium to stop it rusting will be fine, preferably easily weldable that doesn't require annealing like 304 (aka 18/8).
Thanks,
Paul

Edited by Quang0

I am in now I just finished my first leaf for this great project. Hope to make many more before I send them. My families prayers go out to all effected by this fire. I am the President of Bonneville Forge Council here in Utah USA and will spread the work and see what the blacksmiths from Utah can do. Thanks Paul for all your efforts. This is a great coming together from Blacksmiths around the world.
Your friend,Gaylan Veater

This may be a stupid question, but since it has to be something that won't corrode, couldn't we use brass aswell? Just checking, I'm no metal expert yet.

Not a stupid question, but personally I find brass difficult to forge and what would be termed forging brass is not readily available in Aus and we're trying to make it as easy as possible for people to contribute