I Forge Iron

ways oil

For years I've been oiling the ways on the lathe and milling machine with non-detergent 30wt oil. After 6 months or so, it grows a sticky, varnish goo that I have to cut down with paint thinner or WD-40. What do you folks use that doesn't leave sticky goo?

I find that Vactra 2 [ or equivalent ] way oil is the best all around lubricating oil for the bearings, linkages and guides on my various mechanical power hammers.

A five gallon pail lasts me about a year and a half, maybe a bit longer.I get it from Enco. Oil is much cheaper than new parts or downtime.

I'm the new proud owner of 5 gallons of Chevron equivalent, ISO 68 Way Oil. Can I assume it's okay to use this on the babbit headstock bearings on the lathe and power hammer? I apologise if I'm sounding over-analytical, the hammer is 100 years old, the lathe is pushing 85, I just want to give them the respect they deserve.

Way oil. Way oil is fourmulated to have extreme pressure additives as well as a little "tackeyness" to cause it to stick.

ANY way oil, from ANY of the major oil companies is similar and will be good. The most common, easy to obtain will be Mobil, Chevron, Castrol and Shell.
The ISO68 refers to the viscosity. If it is a Chevron Way oil, of ISO 68 visicosity, and that is the visicosity needed then indeed you have the right stuff.

For plain babbit bearings way oil will work but a straight lubricating, and circulating oil would be a touch better. In this case a Mobil DTE of the needed viscosity would be ideal. Note that I use the Mobil callout only because it is the most universal, and any oil jobber can cross it over to his brand.

I tend to prefer the Chevron, and used it at two factories for a combined 8 years.

As to the question of way oil getting gummy, normally way oil is used on production machines and is scrapped off by the way scrappers when the machine is in use and is replaced as the machine is used. Let that same machine sit, and a little dust and mosture mix in and almost any brand way oil will get a bit gummy in time. I use a hand oil can and distribute a little ISO 68 hydraulic oil (From Tractor supply) on the ways when I am done with the lathe. When I prepare to start, I wipe that off with a rag, and add a little more and off I go. Those oil soaked rags make fair coal forge starters as well.