I Forge Iron

Fires in Victoria in Oz

irnsrgn

G'Day all , yep i's still here :)

The news in taday is fires around us ave been downgraded but not out .

Ave 1 either side of me , the cooler temp's & south breeze has been nice for a change .

Expecting warmer weather & a north WIND for the weekend ...... :(

Will keep every 1 updated on things here

Dale Russell

G'Day all ,
so much for the downgrade ...:(

Looks like the fires either side of me wanna meet , maybe good for them , but not for us :(

Latest alert is wind change sometime this arvo , possable ember attack , visability down ta 2 mtrs from smoke & out & out fire front hitting us .

will keep every 1 posted as to what's goin' on

Dale Russell

Feb 7 2009 NASA Photo

This image from the MODIS on NASA’s Aqua satellite was captured on January 30. A large plume of smoke spreads southward from a fire (outlined in red) that appears to be burning in a small area of forest west of Churchill (a larger town near Boolara) in Victoria’s Gippsland region. The forest is dark green in contrast to the surrounding grass or cropland.

Feb 8, 2009 NASA Photo

Out-of-control bushfires raced into small communities and towns in Victoria, Australia causing the reported deaths of more than 100 people as of February 9, 2009. The smoke from the fires blew eastward over the Tasman Sea, reaching as far east as New Zealand. This image was captured on February 8 by the MODIS on the Aqua satellite.

There's at least one member of IFI that has copped his fair share of the fires. He doesn't feature much here but is well known within our group. As well as losing his sister-in-law and her husband, who were also his neighbours, he has lost all his shedding. He managed to save his house though and one vehicle. If the member list was available I could mention his name although he would probably would rather do with out the fuss as he is that type of bloke.

Update (Friday); Currently 181 deceased and 1069 houses lost plus countless outbuildings, pets and livestock.
$80m raised for relief of those affected.

My thoughts and prayers are with any IFI members and indeed anyone who has been affected by the fires in Victoria. This is Australia's biggest natural disaster and most people here are feeling pretty numb at the moment, the media has been showing some distressing images of the damage the fires have done to property and peoples lives and it's hard to fathom the terror these people must have gone through. But Ozzies are are are amazing lot, with people already planning to rebuild, a big thank you goes out to the courages firefighters, the Red Cross, all the many volunteers and the generosity of the public with many Ozzies digging deep to give money, clothing and food. Thanks also to the members from overseas who have posted messages of support.

Haven't posted in awhile , *#@! what a week ...
Lost one former work mate to the bush fires ...
Supposed to be heading down into the Yarra Valley next weekend for a music festival , not going of course , fires still burning over there , a bit worried about the blacksmithing blokes over at Wandin , hope there all okay over there...
Anyway thinking of you blokes over there...
Jack...

Awareness Message-Mount Riddell, Mount Juliet, Narbethong,Toolangi,Warburton,East Warburton, Wesburn,Millgrove,Yarra Junction,Gladysdale,
Powelltown,Launching Place,Don Valley, Hoddles Creek,Woori Yallock,Yellingbo,Seville,Wandin and Mcmahons Creek
...15/02/2009

30 - 40 km nth sth east winds blowin' rite onta my doorstep, I'll send Sue & Chase out , but i'm stayin'

Just got back and it is amazing what happened down there. When Canberra went up a few years ago we thought it was bad. This was just as bad, but BIGGER.

We spent most of our time backburning and blacking out. Not the exciting headline stuff but a lot of it is going on now that they are trying to tie in these fires. Lots of help from all over. From most Australian states, New Zealand, Canada and USA it was a privilige and quite humbling to work with these generous people from across our world.