I Forge Iron

Pics of my forge setup

element

Im in Richibucto , kent county. Maybe we can meet sometimes this summer.
Also one of my buddys lives in this town and hes smithing too.

There is a fellow in Shediac that has blacksmith shop called HERITAGE WROUGHT IRON that im going to check out soon. Maybe il move to shediac and work for the guy, that would be a dream job:D

I see your wanting an anvil, Il keep my eyes peeled and let u know if i find one:rolleyes:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Eric, Well I started working on my super sucker forge yesterday, Didn't get it done but pretty darn close. I never learned to weld, and yesterday, I think I have fiqured out how to do it, after burning several holes and feeling them back in plus a little help from some of the feller's on here. I've had a big welder for about eight years ,But never done much with it..
I used a old water heater, I think it'll do pretty good once I get her done .. I got me a five foot piece of 1 ince plate steel that I'm going to use for the table. I'm going to cut it down. and use part of it for a anvil stand, it weighs four hundred pounds and its laying in my drive way right now.. The son was supposed to come over and help me yesterday, But didn't show. Anyway, Thanks again for posting your set up... Tom

Wagonmaster sounds like your welder is set to high? Or you were going to slow? Anyway im glad your working on your forge and learning welding at the same time.

A one inch thick forge table top would be overkill. Im thinking that plate would be perfect for blacksmiths workbench that you can weld on and maybe set your post vice on that table. I would of never made a wooden bench for my post vise and work area if i had a plate like that.

When i started my table i was originally going to use 1/4 cast iron but after finding out i couldnt weld it by regular means i opted for 1/8 forge table top and im sure glad i did. My table was 5 feet long and its by far the hardest thing i had to drag in my life to the shop which was 40 feet away from the drop off point. I would suggest making your table more square shape because its easier to set your anvil and the post vise so you get a nice triangle. Because my shop is small i was forced to cut my forge table so its now 3 1/2 feet long and i had to remove all 4 legs and replace the with wooden legs.

Keep us posted on your progress, maybe a pic or two?:)

You got me to thinking.. and I may do things alittle different on the table.. I'm going to still use the 1 inch for the table. just not as much.. that's all I have right now to do the table with.. it'll be heavy duty ain't no doubt about that.. Thanks eric. I'll put some pic's on here when I get it done. I talked with another member from here today and he is also building the SS Hood..

Tom

Im in Richibucto , kent county. Maybe we can meet sometimes this summer.
Also one of my buddys lives in this town and hes smithing too.

There is a fellow in Shediac that has blacksmith shop called HERITAGE WROUGHT IRON that im going to check out soon. Maybe il move to shediac and work for the guy, that would be a dream job:D

I see your wanting an anvil, Il keep my eyes peeled and let u know if i find one:rolleyes:

Would be cool to meet someone (reasonably) local. If you're into cars I may be attending the classic car show in Moncton this year in my 1970 Pontiac LeMans... Provided I can get it running in time. That's when I'll be closest to your end of the world anytime I can think of!

That would be great if you could keep an eye open for an anvil, I'm really struggling to find one! I can always buy one brand new, but I don't want to wreck one when I'm still learning how to do it!

Thanks. :cool:

Yea its kinda far aways but i know a guy in hillsboro who deals old tools and sometimes he has anvils. It sounds far feched but i know how it can be finding an anvil up north. Whenever i find another one its comming home for sure and this summer if all goes well id go up to the car show and find u somehow and sell u one:) I think your best bet would be to put ads in craiglist or kijiji because your not far from main and the states has much more anvils it seems than Canada. Kijiji is how i got my leg vise and it only took a couple months before i got a bite on the hook. My first anvil was a piece of railroad track that i found laying on the side of the road and you wouldnt believe how happy i was findind that little treasure that got me by until i found a true anvil.

Might be a week or two before i get pics so il try to explain best i can for you.

Because i didnt want to drill or modifie the blower i made a flange with a hole to match the blower exaust hole, once i made the cutout i alligned the two holes and i scored the flange with the outside diameter of the blower flange which is half the size, Now i didnt have to look to see if the holes are alligning. Then i welded my flange to the pipe.

I took 2 stripes of steel 1/4 by 2 inches and welded those on top and bottom of my flange so the blower flange could slide in horizontally.

To stop it from sliding sideways i welded the heads of two bolts each side of the blower flange. It couldnt slide anymore because all the parts are closely mated and welded and pipe/blower holes are in line. But i can pop the blower out if i want to in the future.

Now to stop the blower from poping out and to get a good seal between flanges is were the bolts come in. I put a large 1.5 inch washer on each bolt and tightened everything with locking nuts. And a little silicone for a miximum seal.
Hope this makes sense;)

• 2 weeks later...
100_1136_-_Copy.JPG
This was sure enough a learning experience for me , I've had a ark welder and mig welder for years and never took the time to learn to use them, The welding on the hood is terrible, But it'll work.
I also learned to ware a long sleeve shirt while welding, My Arm got burnt pretty bad.. lol
I still have to finish the table and hook up the air and weld a rail so I'll have a place to put the tongs. and then I'' attempt to build a anvil stand..
Thanks Eric for sharing your Hood and set up with us. You gave me the " I can do it" Attitude.

100_1134_-_Copy.JPG Edited by WagonMaster

Looks pretty darn good, Tom. Super simple design, yet functional. Hope it works well for you.

Your enthusiasm for the craft is inspiring, to say the least. Next time your up this way (I-77, exit 138) look me up. I'll show you my little smithy area, may even send something back with you. Lord knows I have too much junk laying around not being used!

-aaron

Thats great, Your making good progress. Are you going to put a clinker breaker? I wish i put one in mine but itl do fine for now. How deep is the drum? Mine was 2 3/4 and i find it to be on the shallow side but yours looks deeper so it should be fine. All in all i think thats going to be a good forge that will serve you for years. I found out that its best NOT to weld the firepot to the table because of heat expansion. Although i only had about 5 one inch tack welds around my pot, I could hear them rip apart when i fired up the forge because the force of expanding,contracting metal is considerable. Other than that i think your good to go.

Just came across this thread, great setup you have there element, real picture postcard stuff, we don't get snow like that where we are in Oz. I have my anvil horn facing away from the forge so as to not jab my leg. I too have a brake drum as a fire pot, it is off a truck and is about 4 1/2" deep. It works well, but because there is no clinker breaker it can be a bit of a chore too get clinker out.

Tom, your setup is coming along nicely, can't be too far off completion. your super sucker looks great, I can see where they get their name from, if yours is anything like elements you'll be laughing. I too learnt about wearing long sleeves using a mig to repair an old ornate carriage. There was lots of fiddly bits that had to be held and my left arm above the glove got badly burnt.

thanks IanR, Since the pictures we have had another foot of the white gold but sometimes i wish i was in Oz to get away from it. Actually making a clinker buster is not hard but then you got to find time to do it and correct me if im wrong but youl likely save more time in the long run than the couple hours it takes to make one.

Tom, Element, it seems to me you both got it going on. So what's the trick to use the heat of the forge to heat your shop and not have all that heat go right up the flue?

I'll put in a heater or stove if I have to, but I want to keep as much space as I can. Also why use more fuel to heat, which relates to more cost?

Wait for summer lol. But seriously right now there is no heat in the shop so i dress real warm and when you really dig in your work it takes only 15 -30 minutes to start sweating. Il preheat the anvil if its to cold. I have a stove in there already and i garranty you it will be installed before next winter. I admit cold hands are not fun in the shop and so are gloves;)

hey man ,nice pics. got lots of work done looks good. I'm almost done setting up myself just need to pu my chimney up then im done i'll post some pics for yas, generally the same setup as element here

Edited by rokshasa