I Forge Iron

cable billet question

adamj

i have a cable billet that is approx. 1x12x3/16 and need some ideas of what to make out of it. i originally was going to make a draw knife out of it before i found out it wasnt very high in carbon and wont hold an edge well. any ideas welcome.

Cable is usually quite high in carbon. How did you determine that this stuff is not? Is that just someone's opinion or did you actually do some hardening tests to see? If not take a small piece heat it to just above non magnetic and then quench it in oil. then put it in a vise and try to scratch it with a file. If the file cuts it, it's not that high in carbon. If the file skates, it is high carbon.

Even if it isn't HC cable you can slit and insert a HC bit and still make a drawknife. It'll be plenty attractive with the cable pattern ending at the insert.

Welcome to the mob Adam, glad to have you.

If you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location folk who live close can get together with you, turn you onto good deals and such. That and us old farts won't have to try remembering who's in the area when we travel and want a snack or place to nap.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty
Forgot to say howdy

Cable is usually quite high in carbon. How did you determine that this stuff is not? Is that just someone's opinion or did you actually do some hardening tests to see? If not take a small piece heat it to just above non magnetic and then quench it in oil. then put it in a vise and try to scratch it with a file. If the file cuts it, it's not that high in carbon. If the file skates, it is high carbon.

i know its not high carbon cause i gave a piece to my buddy for helping me after i got it all welded and we did a oil quench and a water quench and it didnt harden hardly any. it was also a choker not just cable from what i have heard chokers arent as high as regular cable.