I Forge Iron

You might be addicted to blacksmithing if you...

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, David Kailey said:

When the neighbor replaces a broken coil spring on his car and you wonder over and ask.....hey you want me to get rid of that for yah?

When a neighbor of mine replaces a spring they just drop the bad one off, Well, that was when I had neighbors close enough I knew their names that is.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/22/2010 at 3:12 PM, E Benz said:

...keep your hammers in a locked safe in your room because you are worried someone will misuse them.

I just built a locking hammer rack to keep people away from my hammers

I have a few dedicated "loaner tools"; usually the cheap chinese ones that came in a box with the good stuff I was buying. I tend not to monitor if they come back.  I always try to have a loaner hammer out clearly visible when I take my stuff camping---after I once was on a bathroom break and came back to find someone had borrowed a mirror finished jewelry hammer to drive torched off rebar tent stakes. (I also bring a bunch of premade heavy duty tentstakes and leave them out with the hammer. Someone always forgets their tentstakes or needs better ones with the storm blows in. It's been my best way of selling them: I lend them for free for the event and by the end of it most folks come back asking if they can buy them. 

There are also a few people I will loan pretty much anything to; even if I know they will probably wear it out; for example my Bader with a 1/2" contact wheel to a friend trying to get his MFA final project done.  It came back with the wheel worn out AND a copy of the tracking form for the replacement being shipped directly to me from the OEM! (As I expected---hence the loan.  I ended up being an Usher at his wedding even wearing my bib overalls and an aloha shirt.)

If your "pajamas" have scale burnt on them.

Littleblacksmith

oh great, thanks Mr. Powers!

Littleblacksmith

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I picked up a bunch of toolbox stickers once that said "No Tools Loaned" with a skull and crossbones graphic.

Just noticed this today, I had a mechanic in my dealership who had a giant sign over his Giant Tool Box, NO! was all that was on it.

I also keep some cheap worn out tools and when people ask I say yes BUT they come with an operator who gets $150 an hr or any part there of.  Seldom ask  twice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...