I Forge Iron

Dave's demo trailer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm didn't take it that way at all! Just clearing up why I was using unauthentic specs, and why I didn't want to use other unauthentic specs.
I don't want put to much "drapery" around the edge! Ya know, an extra spark lands in the wrong place.....
251.jpg
....something like that on a larger scale!!!! :)
The tire will be set back from the center, and the forge is to be moved forward to the very front of the trailer so that the tire cover will be well away from the firepot!

I have one suggestion I'm sure you've picked up on already Dave, just in case though.

I suggest you set your forge so the blower and crank are not downwind. :o Hmmmm?

Of course not having hair on your hands, arms, head, face, etc. isn't that unusual for a blacksmith. :rolleyes:

Frosty

Those sleeves aren't anything!
DSC01018.jpg
Or my more formal outfit! Got ruffles on that one!:o
DSC01077.jpg

Couldn't move my setup at that event, or I woulda been facing the trees!
"Murphy's law says wherever you set up, the wind will blow smoke/fire to you!"
Evil master mine
Mr. Murphy
Anyway, supposed to start welding tomorrow still, if the weather is fine!

This figures!
Ya know we bought the "no tank" wire (flux core) for our welder; well we got the plug hooked up and now we don't have any tips that will fit the flux core wire! It's .35 diam. and out of all the tips we have (5-6) they are ALL .30 or smaller! So, dad has gone to the store to get a bigger tip, another wire wheel, and I am going to work on cleaning the steel where it needs to be welded. (I'm on one of those unplanned, self made, water breaks right now!:rolleyes:) Anyway, time to get back to work I suppose!
Somebody feel sorry for me in my bad luck ok!!!!! Say something like, "happens to me all the time," "don't worry bout it," you'll think it was all worth it when you get it done" etc!!!:D

If that's the worst that happens this will be an auspicious project. I like something to go wrong right off the bat and get it over with. Something almost always goes wrong when I do things and the longer it takes the worse it usually is. If something doesn't go wrong at all it makes me really jumpy and I may have trust issues with the project for a long long time.

Frosty

I finally got some pictures of the trailer! We got the axel mounted today. I had to go back to the steel warehouse and get some extra frame work in order to mount the axle. I also had to get some more flux core wire (My trailer ate the other roll!:D) and I went ahead and got the primer/paint. I bought the good stuff; the kind you put hardner in and put in the air compressor spray gun. Total bill for thinner, paint, primer, hardner and more thinner was $126!:o However, I bought a gallon of each paint/primer so I should have quite a bit left over!
I'll post those pixs as soon as they upload!

underslung? That mean putting the axle where the wheels are under the trailer? If so, it's for CW reenacting so I need the wheels as out of site as possible. They will also be covered with burlap or canvas. It also elevated the forge to the perfect working height!

Here are some more pix!
DSC01219.JPG
There is the complete coal box! 1 1/2' x 1 1/2' x 2 1/2'
DSC01218.JPG
overveiw "fore to aft!"
DSC01215.JPG
Cutting the fire pot hole in the forge plate!
DSC01220.JPG
ME! Fondly caressing my Champion #40!
More coming! Winting for them to upload!

Edited by FieryFurnace

And here are the rest...
DSC01228.JPG
Fire pot! 1/4" plate. I prefer 1/2 but couldn't get any smaller pieces!
DSC01229.JPG
Air slits in the fore pot!
DSC01230.JPG
This is the pipe that will make up most of the air duc! I'm hoping to do a weighted ash dump!
I doubt I'll be able to work on it tomorrow but I'll have updates soon!

Edited by FieryFurnace

I cut the hole for the blower today! I have a piece of 1/4 plate for the forge that is about 5' x 2'. Obveously that is too big for the forge so the actual forge is going to be about 3' x 2'. May be a bit more than 4'. The blower is going to take up the rest and it will also give me a flat place to put hot steel tools or whatever. Well, I have to cut a hole so the air pipe can go through the plate to the bottom of the fire pot. That's what I did this morning. I can't recall if I mentioned this, but we are once again out of welding wire. I also need some 1/4x2 inch flat bar for the edges around the forge. So work on the trailer is suspended until we get those. Meanwhile I forged my first hinges for the tool/coal boxes. They turned out well, and on the pieces that will be upright I made it into a sort of J-hook. Pictures later!

If it's killing you imagine what it's doing to ME!:D
Bad weather here so I probably won't be able to work on it again 'till Monday! I hope to get all the welding done then and start the prep work for painting. I had all nice, for the most part clean, steel so I was hoping I wouldn't have to do much wire wheeling. Well, it rained all last night, and we are supposed to get more, so ALL the steel is turning nice redish brown. So much for not having to do too much prep work!:(

When I think of what it's doing to/for you, I think basic education for an ambitious young man.

And today's lesson is about TARPS.

Question #1. Find the value for X. Three minutes with a tarp and bungee cords = X hours worth of elbow grease.

Sorry Dave. By now I'm sure you know I really can't help myself. The wife says I'm BAD. :rolleyes:

Frosty

No extra tarps! :( One for the pigs, two for wood pile #1, one for wood pile #2 and zero for Dave's trailer!!!:(
Managed to get some more welding wire. I went to a Napa auto parts because Ace didn't have any! Well, Napa had the 10 lb roll, so I took it to the counter and handed it to the lady, who took it, rung it up, looked inquiringly at me, (no doubt noticing my youth) and said, "Are you sure this is what you want?" To which I replied, "How much is it?" (There were no prices)
Behind the counter lady: "$74.00!":o
Me: "Give me the 2 lb. roll?":D
The two pound roll was cheeper than Ace! If I'd known that Napa had the ten lb. roll it would have been cheeper for me to just buy the one than all the 2 lb. rolls I'm going through on the trailer! Oh well!
Updates Monday!

Today we welded the second lid together and also welded the hinges onto the lids/boxes. They work tolerably well and they look ok too. Got the fire pot welded in too. Supposed to head to the junk yard tomorrow to try to get some tires. New tires cost ~$120.oo for the tire/rim!!!:o
Pics tomorrow!