I Forge Iron

D2 for the layman

Dangaard

Gentleman, I am having some difficulty forging D2 into knives I have some D2 1/2" round stock. I was forging my round into square
(at orange bright/dull heat) when it cracked right through the part I was hammering on straight through the cross section. I figured it was a fluke maybe I was working it too cold, so I hot cut the piece back 3" and started over same thing happened. I have heard and read wonderful things about d2 steel for knives I really want to make one. anyone have any answers/advice?

D2 is one of the hardest steels to forge and it does sound like you are working it too cold but it will crumble if forged too hot. I would say work at a bright orange and then stop when it starts to cool (dark orange?) and accept the fact it has a narrow temperature range then work within those restrictions. It might be helpful to bend a piece at different temps so you can feel it move; there will be a point as it's cooling where it just refuses to move without breaking - that should be your point of reheating because trying to get that one last hit will likely cause breakage.

You may also want to pay attention to the heat treat for D2, The short version: to get it to what the makers say is correct is not within the temperature / time things that most of us can do at home....And yes some folks do it But it is not likely that a new person to knves can get it right and it is pricey material try some 5160, 1084 or 1095Those are user friendly. and make great knives.

HWooldridge: thank you for confirming my thoughts.

Rich Hale: "You may also want to pay attention to the heat treat for D2" I have searched on google on this topic, and the numbers look like I will be moving to another steel for now. Thank you, that was useful information.