I Forge Iron

very strong steel?

Jacob s

I believe you would be the most likely person to know considering your experiance, I'm a little disapointed but I can't dispute your answer based on experiance. Thanks for your imput. I did look up "RR frogs" before you answered, and I think the name is based on how the Vs resemble the frog of the horses hoof, which recently I had researched for an unpublished article about horse shoeing.
Dave English
Oceanside, California

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello:

Why is it folks get these strange ideas about swords?? Geeze..what's next, gun barrels??

Watchman: Any chance you know of a place where I could get my grubby old hands on a chunk of that HE/HCP rail material?? I for some reason do not think that the local Union and Pacific and Southern Pacific folks would appreciate me torching out a piece on their lines...

Back to swords...Swords were never designed to cut stone, or trees, gun barrels or anyting other than people and/or animals...as far as testing goes..I use the old British Army standard of 1792 of striking an oak block against the edge and back, the 60 degree flex back to true and cutting a 14 ga mild steel wire without the edge chipping out...There are a few more steps in the test but those are the most recognisable ones...

JPH

• 2 weeks later...

id have to disagree on that notion that a sword can;t cut rocks. i have a sword in my possesion that Can in fact cut stone. and i mean stone, like the big one you find in a field or soemthing, the blade of this sword however, is however not a conventional sword blade, the blade is made out of a high carbon industral chipper blade that is 40inchs in length, i just ground a groove and welded a very strudy handle onto it, it will cut a stone. or more precise, blast it into a thousand piece when it hit, and no damaga to the blade, i will try to upload photos ASAP. the only thing that is almost harder then diamond is this sword. and it will take alot of punishment. ive tried it on bushes rock , coconuts, cars and all that the object im hitting is in worse shape then the sword is by far.

id have to disagree on that notion that a sword can;t cut rocks. i have a sword in my possesion that Can in fact cut stone. and i mean stone, like the big one you find in a field or soemthing, the blade of this sword however, is however not a conventional sword blade, the blade is made out of a high carbon industral chipper blade that is 40inchs in length, i just ground a groove and welded a very strudy handle onto it, it will cut a stone. or more precise, blast it into a thousand piece when it hit, and no damaga to the blade, i will try to upload photos ASAP. the only thing that is almost harder then diamond is this sword. and it will take alot of punishment. ive tried it on bushes rock , coconuts, cars and all that the object im hitting is in worse shape then the sword is by far.

the Science says you are incorrect. A steel sword cannot get harder than a diamond, no where close. But I would love to see your Video, let us know when you finish editing it. :rolleyes:

"i just ground a groove and welded a very strudy handle onto it, it will cut a stone. or more precise, blast it into a thousand piece when it hit, and no damaga to the blade,"

I have a 10 lb sledge hammer that will do the same thing but it don't cut the rock

jehuty9800 , where can i buy 1 of these ?

Ave lot's & lot's of rocks , trees & dumped cars around here i'd like ta cut up . :)

LOL " the only thing that is almost harder then diamond is this sword. and it will take alot of punishment. ive tried it on bushes rock , coconuts, cars "

" all that the object im hitting is in worse shape then the sword is by far. "

Does that mean the sword was " damaged " cutting said items above ?

Dale Russell

Interesting,how stone and sword still fires some imagination.I have posted my view in chat room,but I will also leave it here for future references.Sword in the stone is matter of historical fact,as is sword in the water.It served one purpose only -the magical burial of beloved weapon,to avoid anyone(if possible) to recover it.For this purpose (sword in the stone) was created small coffin,called by modern archaeologist the cyst and sword put in it.Sometimes was sword accompanied by helmet,shield or both.Over millenia this act was misspelt and misunderstood to great extent.
It has ,however nothing to do with testing the blade and now this Arturian legend still lives on as a urban myth and Manga story.
Other references:Ewart Oakeshott-Archaeology of Weapons

Edited by Jan

don't know nett, some virus programs read embedded codes as virus no matter what the code is. Norton once read the embedded header on MS word documents at a virus. All the header consisted of was the name of the company I worked for at the time. Incidently the only time I got a virus was when I was running Norton, it didn't recognize it when it came in, found it but couldn't deal with it in a scan, and it cost me $150 with the geek squad to get rid of it. McAfee wasn't much better, all it did was make things run slow. I have "The Shield Delux" now seems to be a great program, scans everything including web sites before it will connect.

Every once in a while I re-examine old wives tales to see where it leads me.

The problem with that particular reference is not that a blade couldn't be produced that could cut stone, but that the stone itself does not yield well to being cut. The normal tendency for stone it to shatter. Now if perchance you were to find the proper crystal structure and understand the cleavage, you might indeed be able to produce a cleanly fractured stone that would resemble a cut.
As far as actually cutting a stone, it would have to be a sawing motion removing enough material with the cutting edge to actually allow the blade to pass. Interesting concept is a wafer thin sword.
Then you have the small issue of what would cut said material(including diamonds). A short search around google will let you know that only one substance is harder than, and therefore, able to cut diamonds. Carbon nanotubes.
What's facinating about that information, is that in the soot produced from burning something carbon based, some of the particles are indeed naturally produced carbon nanotubes. Now if you could somehow isolate these and embed then into the edge of a steel blade. you might indeed be able to "cut through anything" and by cut I mean saw.
Now as to whether these carbon nanotubes would withstand the shock of an impact or not is another matter to be researched.

Fun to think about anyway.

Drenched in Flame:
Remember, you have to be VERY careful when you ask any question involving swords around here. Answers will run from legitimate to the absurd and everything in between. In this section, 99.99999% of my replies will be completely absurd. I believe that is is rather unfortunate that you must exercise care in asking question. You have fallen victim to a few that get pretty "agitated" when a new person might ask a question that is TAKEN as a stupid or pointless question. They tend to treat a person who might be asking a question in the purest of hearts with a lot of contempt.
Point of fact, I have never made a sword, probably never will. No interest in doing so. My hat goes off to all those that do so on a regular basis with fine results. What everyone needs to remember is that just because someone asks a question does not mean that they are foolish.
Be nice. EVERYONE was a newbie at one time. no one is an expert.
Enough!!!! Off of my soapbox, back to the forge.

• 1 month later...

Depends what you mean i guess. Obsidian is pretty tough and sharp, but it would break as a sword(like glass).

Need something with flexibility and sharpness, something along the lines of damasus(genuine) blades. They contained vanadium, i believe.