I Forge Iron

Anvil stands?

I don't have a ton of experience but I spent two days on a setup like this but with a 167# double horn and two days on a 300# kohlswa on a stump. Working small stock around 3/8" and 1/2" square and round. Both setups seemed very solid. Neither made a ton of noise. I'm actually surprised at how little ring my 100# Trenton had once I tightened the turnbuckles.

For the corners I used square drive deck screws. Hopefully someday I'll get a bigger anvil and need to lower it some :D I have another bar like the one on the bottom so first chance I get, I'm going to forge hooked ends on it and use it instead.

Rob.

Anyone know what the specific differences between metal anvil stand vs wood anvil stand are?

Rust vs bugs.

I have used the same anvil on both. On the wood stump, the anvil has been heard at 4 blocks during the summer. The metal stand has a piece of 1/2 wood between the anvil and the metal to cushion the anvil and allow it to sit better. The ring is greatly reduced due I suspect to damping of vibrations. The ring of the anvil can be deadened by a couple of wraps of light chain around the waist and/or a carriage bolt in the prichel hole.

The mail difference I found was that the stump allow for more use of the anvil, as it could be turned every which way but loose. To keep the anvil from walking on the stump a couple of rr spikes were driven into the stump just enough to hold the anvil in place, but not so deep that they could not be easily removed. The steel stand held the anvil in only one position and there was no walking around during use.

The wooden stump is difficult and awkward to move, where as the metal stand is easier to move to a different location.

Thanks for the advice Glenn. I think i'm going to weld me up a serious metal stand. I like the idea of being able to have you feet under the anvil for more action :D

Also those that know me know that I did woodworking all through middle and highschool, roughly 6 years so i've done just about everything one can do with wood and now I can't stand it, i'm all burnt out on wood, pardon the pun.

I like 3 legged steel stand. 2x3 tube legs angled out 15 degrees welded to a1 or 1 1/2 inch plate for the anvil to set on. It adds mass to the anvil. a thin layer of silcone rubber between the anvil and base does a great job killing the noise and keeps the anvil in place. It is hard to get off if you need to move it in pieces.