I Forge Iron

Unknown Tool

Glenn

i think its a leather workers rolls i remembr seeing some in a boot menders shop and waching him putting the sole leather through after it had been soaked to compress the leather the soles were called ,bends, the stiching was done on a ,junker, a single stich at a time tool that we got him to mend the horse straps on

Possum, I don't know what it is, but it sure is a nice one. Could it be a sheet metal roller? But I can't think of what would require a shape like that. Possibly it was just one step in a production routine and there are other tools used in conjunction with it.

I have seen a machine similar to this in a horse harness makers shop, but it had a knob on the side to set the height. I don't see any adjustment. A friend of mine says it probably is a metal working machine. Maybe a tinsmith. I can't imagine what a tinsmith would want curved small width pieces for. I would go for a harness maker if it has the height adjusment.

Sandpile

• 1 month later...

Glenn & Possum,
I do not for certain what the function of the tool is. (it does look like a leather crafter or saddlers tool.)
But there is a very good group at the Smithsonian Institution whose job is to identify tools' functions.
Check their website for the correct address, and send them a querry together with your picture.
They are good folks, they know their stuff, and will get back to you.
Regards to All,
SLAG.