I Forge Iron

Slack tub is freezing

Steve Sells

Woody, I would prefer not to, as I got a face full of cold slack water. Thank goodness for safety glasses. I still made a quick trip to the sink to wash out my eyes, but it took a hot shower to wash off the ode-da-la-slack-tub fragrance. Wife said to take my clothes outside and leave them outside till laundry day.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem of slack tank freezing and water supply hose freezing as well.
I use one of the floating stock tank heaters that cycles on and off to keep the water at 40F. This tends to cause lose due to evaperation so I replenish with snow.
I also like the idea of the plastic barrel half with the gravel in the bottom to keep the hot steel from touching. I have a sheet metal tank for a slack tub that I just had to patch a rust hole in. I have a number of the plastic barrels that I could try out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Of course, you could always run your moonshine copper coil through the slack tub and solve two problems at once.....just kidding

Great information here!

Good idea...and you could put your kettle close to the forge fire and heat it at the same time.....:D:D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Id suggest a heated water barrel from your local farm and ranch store. We use em for our horses (it regularly gets down to around 30 below zero here in the winter in Colorado) They are really thick and made of heavy duty rubber. I have a heavy rubber/plastic slack tub in my shop and havent burned through it yet. Just be careful.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello
I have been looking at the frozen water in our "slack tub" . After reading through the thread, I thought I would throw out the idea of using a recirculating block heater that our car has. I don't know how what areas would have these but they are great for keeping the cars antifreeze warm. Perhaps a bit of RV antifreeze and this heater plugged in for an hour on a timer???

• 2 years later...

There are times when I'm not in the smithy for a few days or so and the half whiskey barrel slack tub will freeze solid.
I've dealt with ice by chipping and also melting it with some hot bar stock but this year was thinking of a stock tank heater.
Was thinking of leaving the heater in the water all winter but not turned on unless I'm there..

Anyone know what happens if the heater was turned on in a solid chunk of ice?
Figured it might not be good for a heater with exposed elements but what about this style of heater: http://www.tractorsu...-1500-w-2170843

Allen