I Forge Iron

The rules are simple

Use the materials suggested in any way you wish to make a project. You may use some or all of the materials. You may add other elements to complete the project, but the suggested materials must be a major portion of the project.

You may cut, fold, spindle, twist, warp, draw out, upset, weld, or otherwise convert the suggested materials to your liking. But once you start, you can not say oops, I messed up and start over, you have to deal with the oops. You are encouraged to make two or more of a project, a set of things, or several different projects from the suggested materials, just do not exceed the materials list. For instance a 20 foot piece of stock can be cut into 1 piece 20 foot long, 2 pieces 10 feet long, or 20 pieces each 1 foot long to make projects, that is your choice. But you can not use 23 feet if only 20 feet is on the list.

Then post photos of your project and some information on how it was made. It would be nice to have these available for conversion into a blueprint so take lots of photos as the project is being built and submit them for a Blueprint.

If you have suggestions for a materials list, let me know. Comments on the projects are encouraged as this can be a challanging way to exchange information and ideas.

Edit: time limit removed

• 2 years later...

There is merit to doing a job fast. Mainly, you can do more jobs, thus reap more beans and wienies. However as tetnum pointed out, there is a safety factor that come in to play when ever speed is factored into the project; whether it be for a contest such as this or a paying venture. Another factor that comes into play is the "Aw xxxx" factor. ;)I worked production for many years and when ever the managers tried to step up production, either by incentive or intimidation, the accident rate and return or reject rate most assuredly increased as well. It would even sometimes cancel the effects of higher production. So sense in rushing through a job only to have to do it twice or finish it with fewer fingers, eyes, skin cells, etc than you started with.

• 3 weeks later...

im new here but it seams like a monthly chalenge should be easy enough for the newbies while still being a chalenge for the experienced members.
i like the idea of the monthly project. so as an idea for matterials: railroad spikes, horse shoes, leaf springs, and wagon tounges are easily obtainable and are a lot of metal to play with and some pretty cool stuff can come out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Glenn and others
My interest is strongly leading to "Traditional Joinery" . I want to start a thread , and think
I may have started one. I hope that is ok. Even though I am in the middle of a new shop,
and will need to build a new forge, I still have a strong interest in " the traditional forms of
blacksmith joinery". I hope that is ok, because in that area I am a novice and I can not wait to make my first frame using punched holes ( new tools ) and Tendions ( new tools ). It
thrills me incredibley.
rakessler:D

• 3 months later...

This was started in 2006 with the idea of taking material available in most shops and to limit everyone to oh say 20 feet of 1/4 inch round bar. Each blacksmith could them make what ever they wanted from only that material. The time limit was to keep current with say 30 days to complete the project and move to another challenge. It would have been interesting to see what several smiths did with the same material. Sadly it did not catch on and got only minimal responses.

I think maybe this would have a better chance of catching on if there was a specific project that was announced each month or two. Then people would have a goal. Without and specific goal it really doesn't motivate people to participate. Perhaps you could have a theme like candle holders, knives, or some other sort of hardware.

Maybe make it a competition or something. It would be a good way for people to show off their work and get them interested in participating. Then the comp could be judged by the participants and other lookers maybe?

Just some thoughts.

Greebe

• 6 months later...

I think this could be interesting, start out with small things, like a letter opener, fire shovel, poker, rake, or forge tools. Up to five feet of any size to a limit of half inch sq. Or tongs, hammers, hardie tools. This way the newbies get practice and end up with something to use every day. It will also inspire their creativity. Just my two cents

• 1 year later...

The original idea (concept) was say 20 feet of 1/4 inch stock, and make what ever. That would leave the project open to all manner of things, from s hooks to using the entire 20 feet and forge weld it and form a poker. You could make a horse shoe, a hair stick, a cloke pin, etc, There would be no end to the possibilities and that is why it was left un-themed and only dependent on the material.

We need to be careful as we have at least 3 similar thread going all at the same time. This reply is directed toward the original members projects started several years back.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

JP: Seeing as the idea was suggested in 2006 and nobody's taken a lash at it, I believe that the first person to submit a challenge project gets to call the material size.

The rules can stay pretty much the same though 1/4" rd mild is getting hard to find here, we'd need to special order it or hope one of the yards in Anchorage has a stick. We  could call a limit, say no more than 20' or . . . wait a second, 20' 0f 0.25" rd. weighs about 3lbs. We could call it 3lbs. of anything?

Having to come off one stick kind of limits things too. what if a bladesmithguy wanted to use say 5' x 1/4 x 1" mild, same of O1, same of 15N20 and same of WI ? The equivalent of one stick of the same size stock.

Of course a fellow with a large power hammer could use say 20' x 36" sq stock and forge it into a pickup truck.

I was sorry to see the idea not take off but I think folk were confused about it being a formal thing. Just a few simple rules that make it more a personal challenge than a competition.

I think all it really needs is someone to just do it and post the results or maybe a WIP series. Nothing formal, just folk pushing each other in a friendly way.

Frosty The Lucky.