I Forge Iron

Charcoal from the stove

jayco

bsiler, I'm pretty sure it was Glenn who did the B P on the expanded metal sifter.
You might contact him....I think he has it on file somewhere.

There are hundreds of B P's that are currently off line.......they may be returning soon.

By the way, I still haven't found a good way to get a worth while amount of charcoal out of the pot bellied stove. Just too much air gets in there and burns up the wood.
It's too far along in the winter to radically change things around, but before next winter, I might make a 55 gal. barrel stove for the shop.....with tight fitting dampers and door.
For the time being, I will still try some of the great ideas from this thread.
If any look promising, I will report on the success.

James

You mentioned covering with ashes, good idea.

Try covering them from the bottom up!

Don't empty the ashes, just let them build up. You will still have a good air supply from the draft in the door. It may burn differently, but will still burn. Don't empty it until the ashes are up to the door. You should find some good pieces that way.

I started to make a story, but we had a power bump so was forced to go out a shovel snow off the tents, has been a steady snow and cold cycle going on since before Christmas, real cold tonite -25 so have been told, we'll see? When steam boats were on the bigger lakes up this way men could earn extra money from making charcoal, they would clear off about a thirty foot dia. piece of flat ground and remove all the sod which they saved. Then they build a huge pile of wood, mostly hardwoods then set that afire, when it got going real good they covered it with earth and the sod. Sometimes the would have three or four going all at the same time. Then they waited keeping watch day and night to make sure the fire didn't burn thru, when they saw smoke the shoveled dirt on it, had to keep it air tight. When it was done they bagged and sold to boat companies, was alot of hardwork but a man had to earn a living. I remember my grandfather telling of the local backsmiths making charcoal from tag alders, made best charcoal for their forges when they couldn't get coal. Just remembered another story, when I was a kid a lumber mill got afire, was a hardwood mill. There was a railwood sideing and there were several boxcars full of hardwood. After the fire they opened up the boxcars they were full of charcoal, my father got severel big bags full of it was best we ever had to cook on.
Adirondacker

Yep, good stories and information, Adirondacker.
There's a film I've seen on the 'documentary channel'.....called....."The Charcoal People of Brazil".............They may still be airing it, I'm not sure.

Any way, the program depicts the making of charcoal in mud and brick domes about 5 ft. high.
Pretty interesting and informative.