I Forge Iron

East Coast Chopper

With all the enthusiastic replies I got for my Jalopy posting, I just had to show you guys this one. I cheated for the front end. I cut up a chopper bicycle for the front end fork assembly. The rest of it is my own custom design. It has the same 6 speed driveline as the other one. Two rear brakes with one of them actually being a parking brake and the front brake is a mountain bike V brake assembly. The seating position is a semi-recumbant. I have plans to cover the seat with leather when I get around to it. Many of my customers have expressed interest in me building them one of these. Problem is, I don't want to back my self into a corner and end up being a robotic fabricator. I enjoy creative, inventive, fabrication, but I like to keep moving ahead to new ideas and projects.

9893.attach

9894.attach

Problem is, I don't want to back my self into a corner and end up being a robotic fabricator. I enjoy creative, inventive, fabrication, but I like to keep moving ahead to new ideas and projects.

You could hire a young up and coming smith / fabricator, teach her / him to make the bikes and leave yourself free to do your own thing.

As to not becoming a robot and making the same bike over and over.

All that is required there is to explain to them the artistic nature of your work and that if you made one for them it would be a unique design that no one else in the world will have, made just for them and no I can't tell you what it will be like, it isn't done yet, if you like what I have made then you will like what I will make.

That has always been the easiest way I have found to get around the, "Make me one just like that one!", I can't, I can only make that once, then it is made and something else must be made.

OR

Sell the one that you made for yourself and then make your self another one the way you want that one, then so on and so on.

Caleb Ramsby

FSF your really causing my interest in my own project to bud again. I would like to know more about the drive set up your using. Anything more you could add?

I just got one of those newer Schwinn choppers given to me that has been hit on the rear end... Front end would be a perfect way to go for a three wheel chopper... I like the semi recumbent seat on this one, I have a old chair from a diner that I plan to use as the frame for the seat on mine.

Still gonna have to build a 4 wheeler as well though...

IronRose, would you have access to an adult trike rear end assembly? All of them that I ever worked on were made that the whole assembly was bolted fast. Most of them usually had a 24" rear wheel. If you know how to spoke wheels, you can convert them to a 20" if you so desire. I have an idea that would make it much less complicated for you. An assembly with a Shimano 3 speed without coaster brake would be a gem to work with. I have an idea how to get 6 speeds using a 3 speed rear.