I Forge Iron

dog star pattern?

Weld Hard

Hello all, awhile back i saw a knifw on Google images that had a dog star pattern. How is that done? Is it a variant of the ladder? Thank you for your insight.

Secondly, is there any other name for 15N20? The guys in the local metal shops seem to be clueless as to what I mean.

L6 is an alloy very similar to 15N20 and will produce similar results, but as has been mentioned, the local suppliers probably wont have either. Best to just order some, or if you can find some old band saw blades (not the bi-metallic) they have a chance of being either L6 or 15N20.

As for the dog star pattern, yes, it is like a modified ladder pattern, with the cuts moving radially outward from a single point of origin.

If there is a sawmill near you that runs bandsaws - most do these days- get in touch with the saw filer. Most mills are running blades made from Uddeholm 15N20 steel. Most filers won't touch it if it isn't 15N20. They generally just throw out old blades as they clutter up their shops and make it look like they are behind in their work. Most likely they'll give it to you. On the down side, you'll most likely need a way to cut it up and you'll have to contend with a large number of sharp teeth just waiting to bite you. My day job is as a saw filer. I'd offer to send you some steel for the cost of shipping, but I still owe another forumite that didn't get his steel when I moved. :(
Just noticed you are in Canada. Shipping form me would most likely cost you more than buying it new.

Edited by Ecart

You don't need to cut the bandsaw blade, just put in in a vise and bend 90degrees one way. I use a hammer to bend it over at the top of the jaws. It will make a nice clean break at the vise jaw line. Use gloves cause those teeth are still sharp. If you don't have a vise handy, you can always bend it over itself and step on it to snap it. Of course, watch yer feet/legs/hands and other body parts.

It's hard/brittle enough that it will break at that point rather than bend. Of course the high carbon is what you were looking for in the first place.

If it simply just bends over easily and does break, you may have a bi-metal blade. The tips are carbide but the bandsaw body is mild steel. No need keeping that. ;-)

Hi Mike, have those blades been cut and rolled into that coil? That's what it looks like to me. I generally cut mine into strips of around 4 feet long. I use two different blades. The small one is 30' 6" x 8" w x 16 gauge, or .065. The large one is 36' 6" x 11" x .078

To cut large band saw blades, use a zip disc in a 4.5 inch grinder. Just score with the disc (close to 1/2 way through), then snap in two. Works like a champ for me!

I use a belt grinder to take off the teeth. If you don't have one, you can also cut lengthwise with the zip disc.

Zip disc works great also. But caution. I am wearing a scar on the inside of my right forearm from snapping off a piece we had almost cut through about 7years ago. When the piece broke free (we were cutting off a small piece) my arm came down on a sharp barb that was more than ready to leave its mark. The guy who was doing the cutting- a French-speaking Canadian as a matter of fact- had a choice word or two when he saw the cut on my arm. Kinda funny, but it could have been worse.

The 'dog star' pattern is indeed a modified ladder, cut it in a fan shape.

get your billet somthing near knife shape before you grind it and forge it to finished thickness, all forging of the blade profile will ruin the pattern!

It gives a beautiful pattern for next to no effort! One of the best examples of this pattern I have seen was forged by Mr Jerry Fisk .

edit.... link here, scroll down to see a couple of variations on the pattern, be careful not to drool on your keyboard with this link! :)

http://www.fisk-knives.com/National_Living_Treasure_Series.html

Edited by John N