I Forge Iron

Durendal, the sword of Roland has been stolen.

Roland Paladin of Charlemagne fell in battle against the Saracens in late 700's AD lodged his sword into the stone cliff face Rocamadour France. The sword was said to contain several Holy relics including a bit of Mary's robes, unbreakable, and always sharp. Legend says that before he died he treid breaking the sword against rocks to no avail. So he hurled it into the air where it flew, some accounts say 100s of miles, and lodged itself in the rock face. Where it has been resting for 1300 years. 

The sword was stolen just  days ago.

Ok, now enough with the myths and legends. The priest of the Church there has said this is the "umpteenth" replica that has disappeared. So no that sword has not been there for 1300 years. While it is a tourist attraction and pride of the town it is not Durendal. A loss for the town in any sense. Being as how we are blacksmiths and bladesmiths here, who also many seem to have a love of lore and history along with metal work i thought this may be a story of interest. 

On 7/4/2024 at 1:23 PM, BillyBones said:

The priest of the Church there has said this is the "umpteenth" replica that has disappeared.

Time for a absolutely terrifying, yet relatively harmless boobytrap.

That'd be fun. How about a blood fountain from the slit in the rock? It'd be a lot safer than the blade bursting in flames with a loud voice cursing the thief. Be a fun video and profitable, though I'd keep it secret till I found out if anyone was injured.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was thinking of an air raid siren and floodlights connected to a motion sensor.  I guess not so terrifying.... I suppose it's hard to stop a determined thief.  They should concrete it into the rock and chain it.  

I thought the effect of having the special effects triggered when someone touched or pulled on the sword would make it more personal than a motion detector. An air raid siren would be frightening up close. I was thinking of a Godlike voice thundering down on the miscreant from on high might scare the poop out of them. Lights like lightning bolts and up close crack BOOM thunder to go with. 

Would it be going too far to put put a trigger mechanism and super glue oozer in the handle? That way if they tried to draw it from the cliff they'd end up hanging around until the monks could get there to . . . minister to them. Maybe Nun's ministrations would be more effective?

Frosty The Lucky.

if it were possible I would favor an electrical approach.  enough low amperage high voltage to give a mild tingle when the hilt is grasped but the jolt increases as the sword is withdrawn.  God like voices would be nice too.

I was thinking electric, and maybe a hidden peg in the stone to anchor it.

Maybe the Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came and got it back? I mean, if he could yeet a sword from Roncevaux to Rocamadour, he's certainly a likely candidate to "lay me down and bleed awhile" in Avalon.

So we have a thief stuck to a super glued handle of a chained, hidden pegged, concreted in sword with a electric shock running through it, getting drenched in a fountain of blood with flood lights and an air raid siren blaring and booming voices from above.  I was going to add fire ant's but that may be going too far......

Yeah, that might be a bit much, the blood fountain could drown the ants.

I'll bet it would only have to happen once or twice and nobody would try to steal the sword again. Maybe need to mount video cameras?

Frosty The Lucky.