I Forge Iron

Greetings and Salutations from Australia.

Arpspasm

Hello all,
Have been learning about blacksmithing through trial and error (mostly error) for almost a year now. The last few days I have managed to ruin 5 billets of various metals in an attempt to get a handle on pattern welding I'm not too disheartened though and I plan on trying again in the morning probably with a simpler combination of metals. I suspect the one of the main problems is a bit of a lack of knowledge of exactly what colour I am after for the forge weld but its a joy to have the forge fired in any case so I dont mind if I mess up a few more times to learn.
Regards,
Daniel

Welcome to the site Daniel. Please add your location to your profile, as there may be someone close by who can help. ;)

Are you using flux?
Are you getting the steel to near white heat (NOT sparking!)?
What steel are you using - I understand that some have too wide a metallurgical difference to weld together.
Don't HIT it the first time, just tap it firmly to set the weld.

Look at the following material LB0007 Seeing colors. This should better define the color you are seeing.

You did not say how the billet failed. What was the failure? If it was a forge welding failure, there are several threads on the subject on IForgeIron. Use the search engine to find them. If you melted the metal because the fire was too hot, then bring the heat up more slowly, letting the billet soak to get a uniform temperature throughout the entire billet. You can then add just a bit more heat until you reach welding temp.

Try a simple billet of say ten layers. When you have the process working, then move on up to more complicated billets.

Show us photos of the problem. Each photo will save you from having to write a thousand words. (grin) It will also give us a better idea of how to solve the problem. Welcome to IForgeIron.

only been blacksmithing about a year, and you are going for damascus? you are braver than I, it took me that long just to figure out which end of the hammer to hold on to. Welcome to the site that will take you places you would take a lot longer to get to without it. Aussie Aussie AUSSIE!!

Daniel, I found welding wire together worked great for a first attempt, Have done High-Contrast damascus(pattern-welded) but have done most of that on a 50 lb power_hammer! Made my Wife's knife she dances with at POW_WOWS out of a piece of 1.5" cable that I hammer welded by hand, and let me tell you it was a bit of work, but was well worth it!! /Selden

Welcome to the site Daniel. Please add your location to your profile, as there may be someone close by who can help. ;)

Are you using flux?
Are you getting the steel to near white heat (NOT sparking!)?
What steel are you using - I understand that some have too wide a metallurgical difference to weld together.
Don't HIT it the first time, just tap it firmly to set the weld.

in order:

Flux yes plain borax.

at first I think I wasn't for fear of burning the metal but have been getting as close to sparking point as I dare.

Steels a few combinations the once that the welds seemed to fail quickest contained a layer or two of pure nickel sheet. I scrapped the elaborate mixes and have had some minor success with a mild and high carbon steel mix (1010 and r-6?)

Sorry for the slow reply I have been making a new letter box which hopefully will buy me enough points with the wife to spend another few days experimenting with the billets.
By the way thanks for all the replies you advice is appreciated.

P.S. The failures I have had was mainly the welds delaminating Which I think I can put down to "too little heat and to heavy hitting" I will see if I have any luck with my latest billet and post some pics of the success or failures. Edited by Arpspasm
Additional information