I Forge Iron

Who is an active young,deserving smith, 14-18 years old?

I nominate M_brothers as well. From talking mostly to John in the chat, he is a young man with a bright future. He is always asking meaningful questions with the intent to learn from everything he sees. I take note to the fact that he is always asking what stock people use for their work that they show off, that shows that the wheels are turning in his head. Not only does he see an ax or a leaf key chain or a candlestick, he makes the effort to try to learn the means and method on how it became what it is. I haven't talked with his brother one to one, but it sounds like he is yet another bright young man with a lot going for him. Just my two cents.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that John and Chris (M-Brothers and Hammerkid) are the most active here, but since M-Brothers goes back and forth between smithing and selling everything off, I have to place Hammerkid at the lead.

HK has been very serious, and active for a while now. HK is always asking how to be better, built some of his own tools, including a forge, and even goes to the trouble of setting up demo's, (making his teacher Uncle Spike work to keep up :D) and drives me nuts with his zeal, (but thats a good thing and its a short trip anyway :cool: )

I nominate Buddy215216, another up and coming young blacksmith. James has not been at it as long as others, but he is eager to learn and has made his own forge setup. He's hooked up with an experienced blacksmith for lessons and shows great promise. A new gas forge would be just the ticket for him to get a good jump start in equipment at a time when it's difficult to fund such an endeavor.

I would nominate myself. I am 17 and live in north carolina. My mentor is solvarr. I have been forging for about a year. My biggest problem is that the blower for my forge is far to small. I use solvarrs gas forge when we hammer together and i enjoy it more than coal (or at least coal with an inadequite blower). I think i am deserving because i have on more than one occassion branched out and gotten two poeple into forging, also when solvarr runs a demo and i am there i aid in the safety and teaching of younger children thus passing on the tradition. I am pretty active on IFI. I read it every day. My focus in blacksmithing has no deffinant path (ie bladesmithing, general blacksmithing, art) yet, I am still learning the basic skills, with a gas forge i will be able to forge during the week which will let me hone my skills and still get my school work done. thank you for considering me for the forge it is very kind of you.

Thanks for the nomination larryM ;)I must say it is maybe too far for a shipment to my country because of cost it can go over the price of real thing
I was off the forum from several days because of hauling some springs (old truck in the bush) -they will be good for my future power hammer
I nominate myself for the present.:rolleyes:
I am trying to make a good shop for my future work so the baby will be perfect otherwise I am going to make (some parts still missing) from magicforge blueprints (thank you!):)
I must say forge is very expensive present...
parents agree...

Edited by kovacija(blacksmith)

I have a nominee. His name is Jesse Woods. He's been active in the CBA for about the same amount of time I have. He's been at many of the events I've attended and is a very attentive student and quite accomplished for his age I think about 14'ish. He is very respectiful and polite, in a way that's uncommon these days, reminds me of how I was expected to behave around other people when I was his age . He lives in the mountains of northern california near Fort Jones which is a little west of Yreka, ca. I'm not sure, but don't think he has computer access from home. His father died in an automobile accident this summer. His Father's name was Lee Woods and was a great guy, hauling Jesse to all of the events and supporting his interest in Blacksmithing. We will miss Lee greatly, but were very encouraged to see Jesse at a hammer-in at Mount Shasta only about a month after his father's passing. I would liek to do anything I can to help keep Jesse going in the craft. I will try to call him and see if he has internet at home and if so, try to encourage him to post up to this thread. I'm sure his mother will be happy to support Jesse in acquiring the forge if he was picked. I'd be more than happy to pay for the shipping if Jesse was selected.
ML

Edited by mcraigl

Farmer Phil went through all of the posts and conferred with Josh. There ended up being a nice number of youngsters in the field(Josh, an honorable young man bowed out because he has a forge or two.
So, Josh knows the number assigned to a name. I select the number 8. Josh, when you can, please announce the winner. Thanks, Mike

HOLD UP___POSSIBLE HANGING CHAD> WILL VERIFY IN THE MORNING.

Edited by racer3j
may have to reassign number and re-draw-time zones

If someone had a name in the pot for the forge and that number was drawn they should get the forge whether or not they already have one. They can use it as an upgrade and sell the old one or any number of things they may wish to do with it. You accepted them into the drawing. This is not right and should be fixed. Hope Glenn will take a peek. And thanks for the very generous donation, Whover gets it will make good use of it I am sure.

Whoever ended up being number 8 gets the forge, whether they have one already or not. I would not feel that result was in the spirit of the gift, but I really don't know for sure who has a forge or not. So, whoever is #8 gets it, even if they have access to a fully equipped shop- not what I intended(greed as opposed to deserving), but I did make the rules, such as they were. The two apprentices were to be counted as one person.mt

O.O WOW... Thanks! I just returned home and seen / returned your PM. The boys are so excited the 10 YO went out side to "Jump around and yell a bit" his words I swear!

To one and all: This forge will be used by and belong to my boys, and any friends they have over to learn to "do blacksmithing stuff" as well. We have 2 more boys who come over as often as they can already and show great interest, haven't had time to see if they are very serous yet but they seem to be.

I will be granting them access to post on IForgeIron and will be glad to post pictures of them using the forge, my forge, any forge we come across. you may find I am a very proud dad ;)

As for as our current setup, we are sharing a firebrick forge with a naturally aspirated burner that we built. This (my current) forge will be passed on to the next young smith I run across as soon as I get my coal forge finished. It was going to the boys but to be perfectly honest it was obviously a forge built by a beginner. It will heat metal up hot enough to forge but nothing more. It has worked and will continue to work for learning on but the reason for me starting on a coal forge is so I can have more room and get enough heat to weld with. Gets a bit crowded with 3 people sharing the same 4'' square heating area ;)
This new forge will allow the boys to have their own forge that I will not have to worry about blowing up on them and will also allow them to have access to a coal forge for the times when it is more appropriate for the application.

Now I only need to find them better hammers and anvils!
Mike, again I really appreciate you doing this for them and I will have them on here as soon as their mom get's finished with them tonight, if she will let them stay up long enough ;)

Thank you!
NateDJ, Ryan, and Dustin

Hi, I'm Ryan Johnson
Thanks for the forge I have been sharing a forge with my dad so as you can imagine the forge gets a lil crowded

A little about me: I’m 13 I have been making keyrings mainly because that’s what I can do the best.
My youth pastor had a b-day so I got to think of something to make for him I think I am going to make him a feather but then again ill have to see if I can

I am in the shop almost every night well late….

Thank you so much for the forge!

Im Dustin
thank you very much for the forge we really needed that forge im 10 years old I love to do blacksmithing I do it every night im going to make a feather for a friend for his birthday well thanks for the forge now Its not going to be crowded in my dads home made forge :) :) :) :)

Dustin,

Go to IForgeIron.com > Blueprints and start making those projects you feel you can accomplish. Then make a second one even better than the first. IForgeIron can answer most of your questions, but you have to ask. Welcome to IForgeIron