I Forge Iron

Champion 400 blower

bsiler

This is my first post and already asking for help and advice.
I have just got a Champion 400 blower. It looked like it hadn't been taken apart (at least in a long time). It is leaking oil around the fan shaft. I was taking it apart and had one of the screw on bearing covers to disappear ( I really just can't find it, it's a mystery). Does anyone have any idea where I might find one. And also is there a fix for the oil leak.
Thanks
Billy

I use Marine grade lithium grease rated for winter temperatures in my Champion 400 blowers, as it does not tend to leak out like oil does. First clean out the old junk. Also, I have found that bicycle bearings for steering columns work pretty good as replacement bearings inside the grease cups on the side of the blower. Replacing the grease in the grease cups might be a good idea too.

To find a replacement screw, take the other screw out, measure the screw for size, length, threads per inch, and head diameter. First try Lowes, and/or your local hardware store, then if no-one else has it, take it to your local Fastenal store or check out their website, Home | Fastenal. Fastenal Inc. carries historical type fasteners including unplated square head bolts and nuts.

While you may find a replacement screw, making one might not be too big an issue. I frequently forge hex heads square for many issues and tractor stores ( among others ) sell set screws with square heads as well. Slotted heavy headed machine screws can be made from hex as well. Thanks for the headset bearing idea. BTW, if a 400 leaks, it has oil in it. I never considered the heavier lube issue I guess but sounds good.

Edited by Ten Hammers

BTW, if a 400 leaks, it has oil in it. I never considered the heavier lube issue I guess but sounds good.
I have to agree after takeing one apart completely and looking at it closely they were never meant to seal... they are a lot like other tools of theyre time and work on the total loss system your were supposed to oil them daily. the grease would be good but might slow the cranking a bit .. have fun

• 1 month later...

It has been awhile since I checked this post.
Thanks for all the replies. This has been a good learning experience for me (and they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks).
To make a long story shorter, I found the grease cap a few weeks latter hooked to the magnet of the trouble light I was using that evening. I had been in contact with Sam Dembitsky of Cottonwood forge and he was looking for the cap for me. I had also seen on ebay where someone was selling parts for a 400. I had won the bid that morning and found the cap that evening. And I thought there were ghost ( I still do ) in the barn.

I found out real quick from every one that the 400 is suppose to leak.

So Thanks everyone for for all the help
Billy