I Forge Iron

anvil identification

I'm not the expert on anvil ID's but my opinion is if it has good rebound and is in good shape the name on the side doesn't matter. It would help tho if you could move the anvil into better light and get it off of it's side, I had to turn my monitor 90* to the right to see the first picture.;) Also, a picture of the waist with the horn pointing to your right would help, most makers put their identification marks to this side. Take one of your smaller hammers and check the rebound, do this on the entire face, if it is good BUY IT!:) From the second picture it could be a Hay Budden but that is strickly a guess. What's the person asking for it if you don't mind my asking?

$275 on ebay with 8hrs to go...looks like it might go for under $500...which isnt too bad...i've contacted the seller asking for an inspection...its in my city atleast...so should be able to swing round before the auction ends and put it through its paces...

these are the dimensions he's quoting: 610mm long x 100mm wide x 250mm high so i am guessing its gonna be 170lb or so...which is a decent size...

We all are probably wrong...take a look at the 2nd picture close to the right hand corner of the waist near the table, there is a letter ('D' maybe?) and '25' cast in the side. Hardie hole is too clean to be a PW, unless it has be resurfaced. There appears to be a cast mark under the horn in the 1st pic that goes up the middle, can't tell for sure... Still looks like a good anvil tho!:)