I Forge Iron

Carl from Brisbane Australia

Warrigal

G'day fellas,
I'm Carl from Brisbane Ausrtraila.
Got my bodgy ( Aussie term for very rough) forge running last weekend.

Obviously that is the pine kindling heating up the charcoal. You can see the Hairdryer on the right.
I have come here looking to see If I don't have to learn everything the hard way.
Carl

8556.attach

Welcome to IFI Carl, another Banana Bender!!

You are off to a good, and inventive, start but have a look at the Getting Started articles off the front page then get into the Blueprints. That should keep you occupied for the next few weeks then practice, practice, practice.

What type of charcoal are you using, not BBQ stuff I hope. Either make your own charcoal or try to get some coal for a better result.

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome.
I am using BBQ charcoal but not the fabricated stuff, straight Redgum. looks the same as out of the fire. It had been sitting a work since I got there (6yrs ago) I work in a small camping shop.
I do have a wood fired heater and I have been keeping the charcoal out of that but I don't get a lot from there ( mainly Iron bark)
And I have made Charcoal from Willow for my sister who is an artist for drawing. So I have done that before, just have to adjust the size of the batch.
I don't know if any of you blokes are into aircraft but I live on the back of Amberly Air Force base and I have a F111 practicing it's dump and burn for this w-ends airshow. Cool.
Carl

Well fellas thanks for the welcome as for the hammer in invite. But no, not that I wouldn't love to but a a bit far for entertainment. What I mean is all our overnight or longer travel is event based, You know Birthdays, Christmas, Weddings ( and having said that we have missed three family weddings this year due to circumstances beyond our control. One at Warnering, one at Yepoon and one on the Southcoast of NSW )
But one day.
Matt, the people you meet, eh? I'll forgive you for not letting me know I have kept things a bit quiet on this front, till I had something to work with. We'll have to key up a BBQ and get some blisters.
I was gunna fire up again today. But it hit 35cel in the shade so I built a retaining wall instead.
Carl

Not letting you know!! :P Who told you about Get Hammered then??!! :o:P Anyway, I thought you were into cutlery more than smithing? Either way, it's good to have you here mate. So, how did you find this place, since I selfishly forgot to send you a link? (sorry!)

Definitely up for a barbie. :) We're thinking we need to do something along those lines ourselves. Will be in touch.

I'm at work today ( a small camping shop) the missus ( not much of a camper) came in because of a Suprise B'day party being held for me on Sat. ( opps Aren't I supposed to know) She has a camping theme she wants to get a Tripod. So ever so gently "Sweetheart how do you think they made this"
( three legs with simple rings ( not even tapered) joined at the top, a piece of chain and a hook)
"Oh is this the sort of thing you can do with your forge?"
"yes dear"
I tell you for a smart woman sometimes you gotta wonder.
Carl

I'm at work today ( a small camping shop) the missus ( not much of a camper) came in because of a Suprise B'day party being held for me on Sat. ( opps Aren't I supposed to know) She has a camping theme she wants to get a Tripod. So ever so gently "Sweetheart how do you think they made this"
( three legs with simple rings ( not even tapered) joined at the top, a piece of chain and a hook)
"Oh is this the sort of thing you can do with your forge?"
"yes dear"
I tell you for a smart woman sometimes you gotta wonder.
Carl

ROFL!!! Mate, you're so right! :D:D:D

Fellas thank you for your kind welcome.
PJH66 say G'day if your passing through I work in the Camping shop in East st Ipswich. I'm here this week but normally only Thurs night and weekends.
NateDJ No mate she really didn't make the connection till I spelt it out. I just gotta workout how to get her to do more babysitting because I really can't have a 3yr old next to me while the forge is going the way it is set up now.
Carl
P.S. Just rang the steel/welding supplier around the corner for some prices. Wow that stuff is cheap, Well untill you start buying it by the pallet load I guess.

Glad to have you aboard, here are a couple of things not to do. (speaking from experience). Do not lean on the anvil nor the post vice if you have used them recently!! Do not wear cuffs on your pants rolled up. Do not keep your newspaper too close to either the forge or the anvil (hot scale flies quite a ways). Kepp multiple pairs of safety glasses handy, they seem to get misplaced just when you need them, or tie them around your neck. Just because you see some scrap metal, it does not mean you HAVE to stop and pick it up, but you probably will. Lastly, do not avoid joining an association of blacksmiths, it is sooooo worth it to have them to lean on. May your fires be hot, and your beer cold!

Finnr, I think your right

Blacksmith code section II subsection 'j' part 3.03.2
"As a blacksmith all forms, types, and styles of scrap iron, steel or similar materials shall be subject to being collected from public roadways, ally ways, and other public fairs. Failure of a known smith to make such collections shall be subject to an indefinite number of distractions and priorities to keep them away from the forge."

and section IV subsection 'a' part 2.07.9

"A blacksmith's scrap pile shall grow at a rate of at least twice that of what he uses in a given year. "

and finally section X subsection 'e' part 4.01.1

"A blacksmith shall not take in for recycle any quantity of metal. Exception may be made only if said blacksmith returns from said recycling location with more metal than he originally took."

:D

Edited by ironrosefarms
Splleing nto os doog

• 1 year later...

Goog Day Carl
I am Dougal from Cooran SSC - I just found how to get into this site and am getting lost all the time so was please when I saw "Brisbane" I am a bit of a metal basher - and spend most of my time in the shed with the carpet snakes. My trouble is that I usually have three or four projects going at a time - but I do like a challenge.