I Forge Iron

Tip's for conserving propane...?

What do you guys do to get the most out of a tank? I have a diamondback two burner and really like it..Great forge but man it really likes the fuel..My last tank only lasted about 7 hours, maybe a tad more set at 5-6 PSI :confused: Seems kinda high dosnt it? Thats a 20 pound tank..Im getting ready to hook up a 40 pound tank and if I only get 12-14 hours for $37 worth of propane I may just cry :p

Edited by KYBOY

when im actively heating and hammering, i keep the forge running at my usual 5-7 psi. if i want it hot but ill be a few minutes till i get metal back in there, i kick it back to 2-3 to conserve the fuel. that makes my tanks last longer. plus i have a connection with a guy who works at a compressed gas distributor, so i get my propane on the cheap.

KY, sometimes it's the little things. Common sense stuff like enough insulation, proper psi, make sure your burners are tuned in, turning down the burner to just keep it hot while not actively heating something....... etc. Things I'm sure you already know. But, they all add up.
I don't remember what I paid last time for gas, but it sounds like you are getting a good price to me.

Bruce, forced air??? I'm interested. Is there a BP or info somewhere?

Mitch

I've got a diamondback two burner as well. I've had it for about 2 years now and really enjoy how much more work I can get done over using my coal forge. In fact, just got rid of my coal forge and all my coal at a yard sale last week.

One thing you can think about adding is an idle circuit to your gas line. It allows you to reduce gas flow to the forge when you want to. I believe there are photos in the gallery here, but it is a simple design. If you can't find it here I can post some photos.

rfdecarter is right, check into an idle cicuit setup. Basically, the idle circuit allows a very limited flow to the burner(s) to keep the forge hot, but allows the forge to return to the established pressure you are working at by just opening a ball valve back up. Do a search on idle circuit for gas forges, I'm sure there are diagrams available to explain the components needed and setup. If you can't find one, I have a picture somewhere of one I'll send you.

-aaron

The idle circuit is cool, but I find it's just as easy to turn down the flow with a needle valve. Since the idle circuit uses a needle valve as part of the assembly, you end up saving some plumbing and a ball valve. It doesn't take long to figure out a good idle position with the valve.

I used the idle circuit on my first forge, but didn't implement it on my current forge. Just fewer fittings to leak :-)

Forced Air=electric blower
I hooked up an air mover that originally charged one of those outdoor Halloween Great Pumpkin displays. Big balloon type deal. Rigged up a hose from a shop vac right into the end of the burner. Without a guage I have no idea what pressure I'm using but you'd be hard put to toast a weiner without the blower on. Running the blower I can weld . The forge ID is about 4"x15". Been running a 100# tank since the first week of May and that includes about 6 8 hour welding sessions. Still has about 6" in the tank.

8488.attach