I Forge Iron

How do you get started and then avoid burn out?

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Burn out? I think that's something employees get when they're over-worked and under-appreciated. Ooo, that reminds me:

"We the willing,
Working for the unknowing,
Are doing the impossible,
For the ungrateful".

"We have done so much,
With so little,
For so long,
That we can now do anything,
With nothing"!

I'n 62 and I can't wait to get out of bed in the morning, every day.

Iv'e been accused of being a workoholic, but actually I just love what I do! Workoholics are neurotic. I work, no, scratch that, I PLAY 12 - 16 hours a day in the shop, I never get tired and HATE to go to bed at night. No matter how many different tools I make, I always know there are hundreds more I can make, It's endless. And I love every minute of it. The imagination is without end.

I feel so lucky to be able to do something I love. Good days in the shop and bad days (we have all had them) there are days when I cant do anything right. You know I still enjoy the day because I learned something. I also try to make the day fun. I decide what to work on every day and what my goals are. This makes everyday feel like a win when I accomplish my goals.

No matter what you do, you need to build in time to advance your skills. I try to reinvent myself every couple of years to stay relevant. I will go back through my library and try techniques I have never done before. This has opened many doors to me to push through my own comfort levels.

I think like many things you have to have passion for the work. If not....why bother its too hard.