I Forge Iron

Ptree's Hurricane IKE results

ptree

I am still without power, and they project 2 to 6 days for power to be restored. Been out since Sunday about noon. A very good hearted guy at work took me to his house and loaned me his generator and power cord, and offered his truck to haul it 46+ miles. We strapped it on my 99 Cavilier, and off I went. We saved the food in the freezers, lost everything in the refrig. My ladies are getting pretty desperate for a hot shower, my plan is that I will enjoy a LONG LONG hot shower when I arrive Thursday at SOFA. I hate cold showers, but when you are chainsawing one has to clean up. Cold showers are sure a water saver
I have 22 major trees down, but have clear acces down the drive and street now. Only missed 1.5 days of work. Of 22,000 customers on my REMC, 20,000 were out Sunday. Yesterday only 7300 still out. In my area many streets have 3 to 6 poles down.
I am very lucky, there were 4 deaths in my area from windblown debris.

Roughin' it gets old after a while :-) We were without power for 3 days here in wPa. Lost a coupla trees and a light pole leading to one of my buildins where I keep poultry. Good thing it cooled off, fans are needed this time of yr. to keep the birds cool.
Lost one refrigedator freezer of wild game.
Never saw the wind blow so hard for so long without a drop of rain.
Glad ya survived with minimal damage Ptree.

I feel for you - southeast Texas near the coast is destroyed and it will take years to recover. By the grace of God, we dodged the bullet this time.

When I was a kid, we had a broken shower for a while (my nickname at school was "Schtinky"...). Seriously, Dad bought a galvanized water tub that was about 5-1/2 feet long, like you would use for small animals and we filled it out of the bathroom sink. That was a nightly reality for a few years until we could afford to fix the shower stall. You might check out the local feed stores if the power stays out much longer - plus the tub makes a good slack tub when you don't need it any more.

I live northwest of Houston in Cypress and am surrounded by farms and ranches and other subdivisions who have power. We don't. We lost power 9 days ago and finally figured out that Centerpoint Energy has not a clue when they will get anything restored. I had a generator for the fans and fridge but I think I will go get a window AC unit, too. Hot and muggy on the banks of Cypress Creek....

Woo Hoo! went out last night and bought a small window AC unit and when we got home, the power was on!!!! Gonna keep the AC, though. Hurricane season isn't over yet. BTW, Lowes has a 6600 BTU unit with a 5 year warranty for $128. It is a 110V unit with an EER of 10.7. Not bad for cooling a bedroom.

ptree, It doesn't cool off down here until about midnight. Hot, muggy, and not good to sleep in. My gen set is 5500 watts and will run my little AC with no problems. However, since the last 'cane to make a direct hit on Houston was Alecia in 1983 (we went through that one too) I really don't expect to need it much. Since I am putting a 1000# capacity crane in my truck bed, I can load it up and take it to demos to run a nice fan for the blacksmith!

• 2 weeks later...

I live in South Houston and am very close to ground Zero and where the storm surge hit. My property sustained damages that in other instantces would be horrible but where a blessing compared to what others faced. I went to Galveston Island for the first time since Ike yesterday and the strand looks like down town beruit instead of an established american city. Galveston and the gulf coast plain as a whole still have a pulse and are rebuilding very fast. Peter

No, but I would like to. I am not new to metal work but I am to the concepts of black smithing. Alot of questions could be answered alot faster and easier if I were to watch some skilled hands at work. I will follow your link and work on getting signed up. Thank you, Peter