I Forge Iron

New production swage blocks...

KYBOY

hanton@prumyslovy-servis.cz is the sales guy at this company. They cast the Euroanvils and doa couple of sizes of swage block and also a stand for the blocks. Their current prices are (in euros):
80 Kg (176#) 627
60 Kg (132#) 431

That includes tax but obviously not carriage. I don't have a current price for the swage block stands.

Following Lehman Brothers' debacle I expect the US Rouble will be in free fall again against the Euro so you need to check the current rate. I also know there is a price rise in the pipeline largely because the Czech currency is surprisingly firm against both the Euro and the US Rouble.

That swage that's only 105$ is pretty economical.. but I wonder as to the quality. I can't see blowing 500$+ on a swage unless I really thought I was going to use it. But maybe some really would use it a great deal. Personally I just want the dishing forms.

Dishing forms without blocks that I own/use but didn't pay more than scrap metal price for:

Wood

Bottoms of scrapped high pressure gas tanks, O2, N2, Argon, etc

lifting rings and tow rings---some will need to have the collar at the base of the ring ground flat to the face so they will sit flat

Punchouts from *large* Heavy steel---I have some punchouts for 1/2" plate about 6" in dia that make a great dishing form.

Finally the top of a large valve lifter---about 3" in diameter.

Greene and Mengel also make a nice block which I have, they are usually at Quadstate, and they also make a cone mandrel, My block need very little clean up to be useful, and I did little more than knock the edges down with a flapper disc on a right angle grinder and not much at that, and have used it a bunch. Though I would like to clean it up more (some where in my copious freetime;-) To be honest though I use the dishing forms very little, I do use the swages around the edge as dishing forms quite a bit;-) table legs, spear sockets, handles on forks that kind of thing... I also use the swages on candle cups, quite handy to have around. Swages and cone madrels are limited use tools, their only good for a few things, but for those few things they are practically essential;-)

Ive lived my entire life with tools of one kind or another..Made my living or part of my living with tools for most of my life as well...I learned a long time ago its a lot better to have a tool and not need it than it is to need a tool and not have it...;) Swages seem to be one of those tools like a gearpuller...You dont need them often but when yoy do you cant do it without them...