simple building plan for a forge (easy)

was this helpfull.  

2 members have voted

1. 1. was this helpfull.

• yes, im going to use this plan!
    • yes, but i already have a forge.
    • no, it wanst helpfull at all.
    • no, this is a horrible plan. :(

im new here but i just wanted to show you my idea of what im going to build.
this forge is really easy to build (i hope so). i dont have all the things yet but this is my building plan. i think that it would be a great forge for beginners like me.

heres a picture a made with paint (Remember it is only a sketch) i hope you like it :) if you have any ideas for this build than i would love to hear it!

thanks!

***EDIT***

this was just a quick sketch!
im working on it. one of the issius in this sketch are that if some coal drops in the bucket than you cant get it out of there.
so maybe i need to make some kind of door in it. or just a small hole in the bucket.

ooh and if you have a good name for it than go ahead and post it!

8280.attach

Edited by Xforce

the wok is a great idea.. but the fire will eventually burn through it so you might wanna cover it with some mud, and make a smaller bowl out of it. somethin like 6-8in. dia. if you find you need a bigger firepot just get rid of some of the mud and might want a valve of some sorts to control air flow. i'll try and get some pictures up of one ive got but other than that you look like your good to go. you could shorten the pipe alot and use pvc if you haven't bought it yet too.

i seen a guy on the web make crucible furnace simalar to that he used to big coffe cans blower going into the bottom can the top one had holes drilled in the bottom and he had the crucibal and charcoal in it and he metled aluminum in it but it was good for a one time use in yours i would think of using a cast iron roaster might last longer but if you can heat it hot enough to forge it thats all that maters i have made forges out of brake dumes ,propane tanks my self i like to make a lot of my stuff to say thats mine

X-Force, you pose an interesting idea........one worthy of experimentation.
I took a look at your sketch and thought "HMMM....There's something new here!"

I may be looking at it all wrong, but I'm thinking the forge itself could be a piece of flat plate, a wheel (with the unneeded lug bolt holes filled with mud, with holes or slots for air to enter the center of the fire.

The 'bucket on the bottom' is what is different.
If the horizontal air pipe connects 4 or 5 in. up the side of the bucket, there would be ample room for the ash to collect from several fires.
When the bucket filled enough to clog the airway, then just lift the cold forge off the bucket, empty the ashes, and your good to go.......I think!

There would need to be some sort of seal around the top of the bucket to force as much air as possible into the forge( I'm thinking mud)

It seems to make sense that whatever amount of air entered the forge, it would escape up into the forge.The only thing I'm not at all sure about is would the blast into the forge be focused like a traditional forge or would it just leak out in all directions making use difficult? That's a good question!

This is an interesting idea.....I'll have to try this!

I'd suggest *TESTING* it before suggesting it to others. My earliest forges went through several variations before I got it nailed down to do what I wanted.

BTW have you see the Tim Lively wash tub forge? Engineered more for bladesmithing and using charcoal for fuel; but easy to build and use.

I'd suggest *TESTING* it before suggesting it to others. My earliest forges went through several variations before I got it nailed down to do what I wanted.

BTW have you see the Tim Lively wash tub forge? Engineered more for bladesmithing and using charcoal for fuel; but easy to build and use.

i was on the cusp of making a washtub forge before i moved into my new house...i've heard they work a treat :)

Charcoal Forge

its quite an attractive setup too IMO

it would seam that it would burn through but i used a tin can with nail holes, a shop vac and some logs for my first forge
YouTube - forge tour
i have sceine upgraded to coal but that can lasted and about 4 inches were left bare iron as a grate and it lasted for some odd reason
so the wok is definitily a a higher gauge twere just make shure its not Al and you will be fine

Edited by tetnum