I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

G'Day rememberwhenmuseum
Welcome ta the site , tell use what youse wanna know , i'm sure u'll get hundreds of answers

Hook up with the " Blacksmith Groups Forum - BAWA at IForgeIron.com " they'll set youse rite ,,, Mr Smith & crackers are 2 of there blokes who show up in IFI from time ta time

Pity youse ain't on the " better side of OZ " , oh well .................. :)

Dale Russell

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day guys, brand new to smithing only had one day introduction so far and in the process of building my shop and gathering equipment etc - time permitting. I absolutely have the bug and cant wait to have my shop set up. I took leave (holidays) over Christmas 2008/2009 just to spend time in my shed to get a coal forge built. Achieved a fair bit and have uploaded pictures to my gallery. This site is awesome by the way!

I live in Langwarrin, Victoria and have a job where I travel around Austraila and a little overseas. Not alot of time other than the odd weekend to get into this, so in between times lots of reading and learning.

Cheers,

Locky

• 2 weeks later...

G'day everyone,
I have to admit this isn't my first post, but it is still at the pointy end!
My name is Paul, I'm a blacksmith from Melbourne, Aus. Been smithing for quite a few years, but mainly in an industrial capacity, now concentrating on more traditional and artistic works. I'm a member of The Australian Blacksmiths Association (Victoria) Inc.
I've been enjoying the reading the articles and the mateship and camaraderie that abounds on IFI, so I think I'll stick around.

Without wanting to push my own barrow too far, the ABA(Vic) is organising a memorial tree for those affected by the recent Victorian bushfires. Details on IFI in the Prayer List and coming soon to The Tree Project website.

Cheers,
Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Mick, from Latrobe Valley but currently separated from my shed by 2,500km and working short term in North Queensland. Been rained off for the last three weeks, (unpaid too the bastards), whilst the neighbors managed to stop the Churchill fire about 200 metres from my boundary. Bloody good blokes!
The Missus managed to kill all the spot fires on her own, so thanks to them I have a shed, oh, and a house to go back to. Julie, what a woman.
So having a lot of spare time, bugger all money and nowhere to spend it I managed to stumble on IFI. Will be a jumping off point for a long held desire to dabble in Smithing.
Got a few pieces of older farm machinery that deserves to be repaired, restored and Julie deserves a bunch of decorative stuff and horse gear after her fire fighting efforts.
Can't wait to get back south.
Cheers to all you ouaaie blokes and women here.
Mick

Welcome to the site Mick, sorry to hear your stuck in Queensland and that you haven't been paid. Good to hear though that your property and your missus are ok, great neighbours you have there and your better half, not an easy job fighting fires. There is no shortage of ideas and tips on this site,hope you get a chance to get stuck in when you get home.
Cheers Ian

G'day guys my name is Peter and live in far north qld Mount isa I have been collecting stuff for years just puting my smithy together,only a bag yard basher and have made a lot of mistakes ,but as some one once said on the site you have to make a pile of shame to get on the wall of fame . There is so much to learn and I have to admit I have also been lurking in the back ground reading and surfing the pics for ideas great web site This is my first post so hope it works out ,cheers guys Bush bugger:D

Hi guys

I have a little shed with some blacksmithing tools in it just west of Newcastle at Kurri Kurri, I do a bit of blacksmithing here now and again when time permits. Made myself a couple of tools too but I'm still learning. I hope to be moving to a new shed sometime this year, I was looking at having a get together here before we move though.

Cheers Phil

G'Day Duckpond, Welcome ta the site , the more AUSSIE'S the better

Phil , " I have a little shed with some blacksmithing tools in it just west of Newcastle at Kurri Kurri, " LOL , if what u've got is little i'd hate to think what u'd call my set up .

" Made myself a couple of tools too but I'm still learning " , bloke , u've forgotten more then i've learned .

" I was looking at having a get together here before we move though. " . Bloke , if i can get the time off i'll be there

Dale Russell

p.s . for those who don't know who Phil is he run's industrial blacksmiths shop in NSW Australia , you can see a pix of him at MOONY'S " Get HAMMERED " , he was the 1 standing on top of the 7 ctw Massey air hammer ( OH & S ? ... WHERE ?????? ) ... LOL

Edited by Dale Russell
spelling ..:(

Hey Dale

I was just telling the truth. Its a shed with some old machinery in it. I'm still learning, old smith told me when I was 16 amd a 1st year apprentice, "son the only time you stop learning is when you're dead".
Better to understate slightly, then to brag and be caught out. When Damo gets me the photos I'll send you a picky of the new tongs we made for picking up hot pieces of steel, one pair of hollow bits,n a pair of pickups.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

G'day
im jack, i live in Runcorn, brisbane at present. Originaly from Rockhampton. Boilermaker by trade, looking to learn how to make some blades and big hinges and other parts for a big wooden front door. theres other things i want to make but cannot remember it all! i dont have any gear yet, so if anyone has anything for sale for cheap let me know ;) i only want to start off small as im renting.

If anyone is driving between Sydney and Brisbane or around in the Hunter region we are more than happy for other smiths to call in and say Hi and have a look at what we use and do. We are located in the workshops at the old Richmond Main colliery site, on Leggets Drive Richmond Vale NSW. Richmond Vale is approx 4 KM south of Kurri Kurri on the road heading towards the Newcastle/Sydney freeway. We work 5 days a week and I am normally here on a Saturday but the workshop is not always operating on Saturdays. You can call me on 02 49362124.

Cheers
Phil

12774.attach

12775.attach

Edited by forgemaster

Will we be at moonys, is the pope a catholic?
Hope that answers it for you.
Beer, hammers, forges, fire, other idiots who like to bash hot steel, can't see a reason to stay away, hopefully we'll bring some others with us from up this way too.

• 3 weeks later...

G'day fellows aussies,
Andrew here, currently a resident of Sydney. Am a tradie blackie, now a uni student.
I'm interested in heritage machines, old Bedfords/ Vauxhalls and historical re-enacting.
I get my forging fix at sydney heritage fleets workshop at Rozelle, come visit some time!
I'm very keen to know how ABA vic and the WA guys run their group workshops, with the hope that such wonderous thing can be done in the syd, somewhere... (we have ridiculous lack of space for charitable interests).
Hope to see ya at Ironfest or maybe the museum shipyard (Sat best, but also volunteered on Tue & Thurs.).

ps Hi to Moony, Phil, Wayne and anyone else i know in the flesh.

Andrew.

G'day All.

Good to see other Aussies interested in hitting hot metal. Having a young family means I have limited time Smithing but I do what I can. Mainly word of mouth commissions from people who've seen my work. Have turned my hand to a lot of things over the years: I sharpen crowbars and chisels, household pieces such as candelabra, fire pokers, toilet roll holders etc etc. Theatre armour and swords, sculpture and art pieces as well.

All good fun.
Steve.