Dale Russell

OZ roll call

Thought it fitting that my first post is to check in here!

Hobby only and so far just some tinkering with a blown solid fuel forge made from a wheel rim.  Mainly used to melt lead and aluminium, and to anneal material for machining.  Looking to build a small gas forge and do a bit more.

Located in Perth, WA and would enjoy looking over someone's shoulder to learn a bit more.

G'day DS9! Good to see another Australian on here. As you can see from this thread, there are a few of us, and from memory, a couple of West Australians. I am about as far away from Perth as you could get, but if you ever find yourself over this way, you're welcome at my forge.

Good luck with your early forging. There is a lot to be learnt from the experts on this site.

I'm near Bundaberg so also about as far away from you as possible DS9.

Meanwhile my forge area is coming along

1807231D2_0596.jpg

but I've still done bugger all work in it, too many other projects for now. 

A true Australian shed there. Even the bag of Bunnings Lump Charcoal. Looks good in black and white too.

Yeah, I thought the B&W was appropriate, trying to make it look more "period", although it's not a working setup yet and is used to store other crap like fire extinguishers and spray cans. 

Interesting. So here's my forge in B&W.

my forge 1 (2).JPG

They look great in B&W eh? 

I see you have a taller stump next to the swage block, I do that so if I need to use the block laid flat I put it on the taller stump so the height is better. Is that what you do?

Also, I've been wondering if I really need a hood and flu over my forge, you don't seem to and I have plenty of room so maybe not.