I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

Thanks Rod (?), that looks like a great place - don't know how I missed their website in my searching. The Satanite refractory stuff looks like it could be what I need. I'll call them and have a chat.

Hey, you're only a four hour drive south of us here. Call in see us at the Historic Village Herberton (up on the Tablelands) if you're up this way. If you are chasing wrought iron for any reason I have loads you can have.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Satanite in the floor of my gas bottle forge, it runs to 1300C with no problems.

The village looks like a great place to visit.  It seems you'd need a week to see all of the attractions properly.

I am mostly into knife making (hobby level) but thank you for the generous offer of wrought iron, I may have to extend my interests ;-)

Cheers, Rod

• 4 weeks later...

G'day to all the Australian contributors. Polished up my old Holden ute for a Pioneer weekend at our Village. Any of you guys have Holdens? This one has been in our family since it was bought new in Cairns in 1962. Still have the receipt for 1083 pounds (+2/6 stamp duty). Gotta look after these old things now that Holdens are not produced here any more.

holden.JPG

What is she, an FB? I used to race an FC holden many years ago, fond memories of the old girl.

But I also have to let you know Ausfire, holden made their last decent car in Australia in 1978,  The  dunnydoor never deserved the title of " holden"

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

It's good to see you Holden onto family heirlooms Aus. It looks to be in pretty nice condition, how hard is it finding parts? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, Frosty, some say they are just Holden together. Ha Ha. It has had a bit of a make over, as it looked a bit shabby after a life of gathering firewood in the bush and being parked 'by ear' , as my aging father-in-law became more vision impaired. My wife learnt to drive in it and added a ding or two as well. We repainted it in its original GMH colour, which, coincidentally was named Atherton Ivory. It has spent its entire life on the Atherton Tableland. Parts are not a major problem except for one or two special bits like the chrome bumperettes on the back. They are hard to find, but fortunately the old chrome lasts pretty well and I found a pair on a wreck in the bush. I would like a new tailgate for it but that's near impossible.

Thomas: Yes, it's a classic all right. It gets a lot of photos from visitors at our museum when I drive it in with the blacksmith gear in the back. I have a 1927 Chev too, but the Holden is my favourite.

Jackdawg: You know your Holdens, but you're just a little off with the FB. Note the integrated side lights and the small red panel in the front of the bonnet. This model followed the FB - it's an EK. From the back it looks identical to an FC - same tail lights. I think the classiest Holden ever made was the 1964 EH

• 4 weeks later...

What a great old Chevy. Awesome picture on the bridge. 

More recently my boss at the dealership has been renovating and expanding. When getting his old 23 Buick towed ( I don't know why they didn't drive it) the tow driver raised the bed without having it in gear or the brake on and it rolled and smashed into the truck. ( story I heard ) 

I got the pleasure of fixing it. I certainly like working on old cars more then new ones. Wish they would have let me go further with it but he didn't want to get too deep into it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not as pretty as the rides above but she's mine.  Tree line to this in my shop. Das I am not much good at body work. 50 miles per hour  or 200 yards for all pictures. 1951 Chevy resto-rod with rock chips.  I love old iron!

image.jpeg

Pappy, good to see you still have the screen in the hood scoop. I had more than one experience with driving threw a swarm of bees and no screen....sure got interesting for a bit, lol. Mine was a 50. Loved those cab corner windows, but the enclosed driveshaft led to his demise, dang-it. Speaking of trees...does yer truck have 3 on the tree or 4 on the floor?            sorry for the highjack        Dave

15 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I prefer my reading of it.....at least you are not in Not Safe for Work!

Yes, that's true. But it could be a Very Interesting Car.

• 1 month later...

Hi im warrick.

Completely new to blacksmithing.  I live in central queensland.   Blackwater.  I have done welding timberwork and general fabrication.  I needed something to do.  I also wanted a hobbie that my sons could do with me ( 18 &13 ).  My grandfather was a tool maker my dad world class welder so steel is in my blood.  

Thanks 

Warrick

Welcome. There is a lot to be learnt from the experienced smiths on this site, and many forging projects for you and your sons to attempt.  And living in Blackwater you will have plenty of coal for the forge!

If you find any steam engines down that way, let me know! Im mad for them.

Also let me know if you head up this way (cairns) at any stage, I'll give you a tour of my sheds.

Im sure Darryl would be happy to show you a few things too, he is about an hour from me, up in the tablelands (promised land)