I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still around up near Bundy but have not progressed much on my smithy construction (see pic), due mainly to all the other things I have to build first. For some reason the missus wants a house before I get a smithy :)

As you can see no forge yet, but I have done a little work using my oxy to heat the metal.

151228_9EJ1758.jpg

• 1 month later...

Cool change up this way. First demo for a while yesterday without sweat dripping on the anvil. Winter is approaching! It does actually get quite cold (sub-zero) here, even though we are in the tropics. 3000 feet has something to do with it.

So, how's it going with you blokes?

No change with me, but I did just manage to get 36 sheets of corro for free a few days ago, most of it is the old-style zinc coating which I like the look of more than modern corro. That got me thinking that I will build a dedicated shed for the blacksmithing gear, so the above pic of my smithing area is no longer valid and that area will be turned over to more modern tools.

The new "shed" will actually be an extension of the existing workshop but it will just be for smithing and only house old tools, so my leg vice and post drill will move there as well.

Well that's only right. Australia was built on corro. We like to use the old stuff as well, as it's got a lot more character than the new zincalume and colorbond.  Sometimes you get the sheets that are stamped with Lysaght or other brands and that adds interest. And the old iron was a lot thicker than the new stuff. You'll have to find a few old lead-head nails to fix it, and maybe some old time shutters for your windows.

Please send a pic when the shed is done.

• 2 months later...

My gear has been moved to the new workshop extension,

1706131D2_0219.jpg

the leg vice will go on that black stump which is embedded in the ground, post drill on the steel pillar at the right, roof and shutters pending.

Still no actual forge but I did get two large plow discs which might do until I build something better.

Ah, graynomad, that picture does my heart good. A smithy in the bush with a view! I can smell the gum leaves and feel the rough texture of that ironbark. We are so lucky to live in this country.

Nice swage block too. They are very rare up this way. You have an extra stump there - I assume that's to rest your Bundy rum on.

Please show us more pics as you proceed beyond the black stump!

39 minutes ago, graynomad said:

the leg vice will go on that black stump which is embedded in the ground

Graynomad nice set up....Only thing I see that might be a problem for the work " I " do, is how close your vice will be to the back wall. If you clamp a scrolling jig in the vice, how long of stock will you be able to swing around? May not be an issue for "your" work though. Not knowing how deep that black stump is buried, but maybe think about moving to where the swage block is located....Just a thought. Enjoy your new workspace.......      Life is Good                     Dave

On 7/3/2017 at 7:16 AM, ausfire said:

Ah, graynomad, that picture does my heart good. A smithy in the bush with a view!

Yeah we live in one of the best places eh? (I was going to say THE best but we have many non-Queenslanders here so I thought I'd be kind :) )

On 7/3/2017 at 7:34 AM, Dave51B said:

Only thing I see that might be a problem for the work " I " do, is how close your vice will be to the back wall.

Good observation Dave and I did think of that. Truth is I'm just starting and don't have a "your work" as yet so don't know if it will be an issue or not, time will tell if it's a problem but that sucker is well buried into concrete so it ain't moving :)

22 minutes ago, graynomad said:

Yeah we live in one of the best places eh?

I have got to get back over there ! I have a brother-in-law that lives in Canberra (sp?). Just outside the ACT. We visited several years ago. I had a blast, great people, great country, But some of that grog we drank had to be chewed before it could be swallowed.....lol  I think some of the stubbies were Carlton and Tooies red, blue or something like that.....I don't know...    Life is Good         Dave

19 hours ago, graynomad said:

I lived in Canberra for many years, loved it at the time but left to live on the road for 14 years and finally dropped anchor in the bush in central (warm) Queensland.

Heh heh. Canberra had -7 degrees C yesterday. Coldest day in 20 years or so. I'm glad we live in sunny Qld.

And Canberra is in ACT, Dave. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Ironfest 2018

I might be able to get there from SA si I'm wondering if there will be anyone from here - there?

Trying to sort out my itinery as it will take me about 13.5  hrs drive time and being in a light truck I need some weight in the back to even out the ride. I didn't particularly want to bring all of my forge gear because I want to go see my sister in Melbourne afterwards and leaving a lot of gear in the back of a truck is asking for it to be nicked. I can bring bags of coke if anyone wants them and that will help pay some of the costs.

Otherwise I just hope to see some people there!

Andrew

PS: I emailed Craig but haven't got a reply yet, probably due to easter. Can you camp on the grounds as well?

Edited by Farmweld
Add PS

Do any of you blokes know where we can buy refractory stuff in Australia? After daily work for a couple of years my work forge is starting to eat away at the tuyere and it is recessed so far now that it's awkward getting longer stock into the core heat. I need to fit a new tuyere and reline the stone on the edge of the forge. Previously I have used just concrete which turns glassy and breaks out under heat,  or antbed which works reasonably well. I might try some of that heat resistant mortar with firebrick like they use in pizza ovens. There may be a better idea. Any suggestions??