I Forge Iron

forge chiminey_HELP:o

Somewhere on this site Hofi posted some pictures of his forges and chimneys at one of the schools he runs. I remember it standing out as a nice simple design. He had a chimney for each station, but the stations were near the wall, and the chimney went out the wall before it went up. Maybe you can find the pics in the gallery..

Your thinking of "BP1048 Side Draft Chimney" that shows off the individual student workstations, each with their own chimney.

Other thing you want to consider is discretion, four different chimneys may draw unwanted attention depending on the neighborhood or nature of your shop (residential or commercial, etc...)

I saw a working shop that had an old restaurant hood and fan system and they had 4 coal and 3 gas forges all being serviced. Granted it was a tad cold if you opened the door in the winter with it trying to suck all through the hood. But they mounted a pair of long gas heaters hanging from the ceiling and that improved it.
Firegnome

I think a question to be asked is will more than one of the four forges be lit at the same time? If not you could have a gate or door to close off the unused sections. But if it is possible that 2, 3 or 4 forges will be lit at the same time you will have to consider how much chimney will be required to draw with multiple openings to go into one chimney.

I have a friend that has 3 wood stoves in his home, all 3 go to one brick chimney. however inside that chimney is three separate pipes so each pipe has it's own draft.

James

• 2 weeks later...

thanks every one ill check out all the items u recomended. i liked the idea of one chiminey with seprate pipe chimenys inside it. i am located in the our skirts of town were only the noise from a nice beautiful anvil is a problem, the chimenys lead to the back of my property so the smoke will disapate before it clears the tree line even if i have all 4 forges running. i will only have all forges runing maybe once a year.