I Forge Iron

Anvil ID Help

What are the markings on the anvil, sides, front feet etc?  What is the weight of the anvil?  The price of the anvil depends a lot on where it is located, not the street address but the state, or country of the world.

I’m not really looking to have it appraised, more just find out what maker it came from. It has a series of markings denoting weight and year of manufacture and what appears to maybe be a serial number? I’m hoping somebody recognizes the shape and the marks and can ID it for me.

Welcome aboard Bright Forge, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance.

Glenn isn't offering an appraisal, he's offering practical advise regarding equipment and location. Blacksmithing tools and equipment, anvils especially tend to have asking prices inflated into fantasy land. Folk prefacing their ads with words like, "vintage, antique, historic, etc." are using buzz words to run the price up. You don't WANT to pay a bloated price do you? Location can make a huge difference say, If you live in the upper midwest anvils like that would go for less than half what they'd get in Alaska. Seriously, I know from experience. Guys up here often buy new and pay shipping rather than buy used locally.

To address your original question, do you have pics showing the markings, the weight, etc? It's unrealistic to expect specific answers to vague questions. Many of us are here because we enjoy helping folks out but we need to know enough to do some good without  blue sky guesses. Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Kinda resembles a Refflinghouse- I think they put the upsetting block and side table on the same side. Or one of the other S German mfg. Joey V has been around the last few days- I'd wait for him to pop in. And as above, more detailed pix well help a lot.

Steve

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Glenn isn't offering an appraisal, he's offering practical advise regarding equipment and location. Blacksmithing tools and equipment, anvils especially tend to have asking prices inflated into fantasy land.

Hey, I understand. The second photo shows all the markings on the anvil. A date on the main body (1938) a weight (192 kg) and what I’m guessing is some type of serial number (J430)

It is of course German but aside from that I’ve not seen any makers marks and I am too unfamiliar with the nuances of the early 20th century anvil designs to be able to figure out any more info about it. Any help to ID manufacturer would be incredibly appreciated. 
(it’s in Germany, I’m American but living in Europe)

DANG! Teach me to not enlarge pics before hitting the keys! I'll just kick back and follow along, I'm no anvil guru, I'm more a NA propane burner guy but I'm always interested in stuff blacksmitherly. That is a beautiful anvil and it's condition looks tip top.

Doesn't stop us from shooting the breeze though. like puns? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello,

this is a very late Söding & Halbach anvil, they sometimes didn't punch in their logo in between the numbers of the year during the last years of production, at least it seems this way. It is No. 58, South-German pattern with side shelf and upsetting block.

If the price is right, buy it and take some more detailed pictures, please!

Cheers!

Julian

Edit: And are you sure it is 1938 and not 1936? It certainly looks like an 8, but I cannot tell for sure, from the grainy zoomed in picture. That'd be very interesting, if it was made in 1938!

Fantastic! I had a feeling it was S&H but I wasn’t sure. 

The price is beyond right… it’s almost crazy. 500 euros is what I’ve paid for it, god bless the German tool market. I’ll post some nice photos when I’ve got it to my shop.

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

Crazy good deal?:o Where I live that anvil for that price would be sold before the ink dried on the internet ad!

I'd brave the wrath of Deb and bring it home! Then I'd put my Trenton up for sale but Deb would still be seething. I've never gotten to work on a double horned anvil but wouldn't mind adding that beauty to my equipment list.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, that’s not a common price in Germany either, I happened to see it get posted. I saw the thumbnail photo and sent a message before I could even look at the actual photos or the price and thankfully got there first! Got lucky after months of checking notifications religiously.

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

Honestly? For 500€ I would’ve passed on that one. Around here there‘s so much cheaper stuff to have, it is just a matter of patience. But hey, that is absolutely luxurious, compared to prices in the US.