I Forge Iron

Another anvil id

The anvil has HDW CO on one side underneath illegible stamp.Also on left foot has a sideways hammer or T 102.The T or hammer is deeply imprinted.Has A32879 on right foot.2 square holes under the horn,and hardened or laminated surface on top.Was my wifes granpas anvil ,a farmer horses and cows up in N Alberta .Sure has a nice ring to it.Will try to post some pics later,no handy with that stuff.Thanks

Sounds like it was made by the Columbus Iron and Forge Co, in Columbus  OH. They made anvils for various hardware companies in addition to their own Trenton brand, and stamped them as needed. Sometimes the hdw. co logo was overstamped on the Trenton logo. If I recall, the 'T' indicated the anvil maker, the 102 is the weight, and the other numbers are the serial number. Serial number puts it around 1902. They are darn good anvils, and as you discovered, they ring like a bell. DO NOT GRIND THE FACE FOR ANY REASON. And pix be cool too.

Steve

I will try to get some pics. up,I have never uploaded pics. before on a forum. Will try to get the old drill press and vice too.There is some red paint on top and side of anvil as well,factory or not IDK ? I have emailed pics on other forums, hunting and firearms forums I belong to. If somebody wants to pm me.I managed to bang out 4 firepokers on the anvil.Nice big ones,from half in. round stock.The widow up the road was in the hospital with pneumonia so I had to look after his 2 woodstoves plus my 2.Anyway he didnt have a decent poker.1st 2 pokers were huge overkill,so made 2 mediums felt good.And they work good.Just heating up in the woodstove as a forge.Might be start of something new.Thanks for all the kind messages.

went and looked in the old machine shop,the vice is a chas parker 435 swivel base and the drill press is a Canadian forge and blower.The cool thing is hanging on the wall was a  piece that goes in hardy hole, factory IDK ? Took pics last night of anvil ,now to get them from my email to forum.

Some friends at church have a little woodstove cleaning tool they have been taking back and forth from Cornwall UK to Socorro NM USA.  I duplicated it for them and now they have retired to the UK for good.  (Taking my version as it was "nicer" than the commercial version from the UK---twist in the handle and a square tenon.)

Nothing is mentioned in AIA about the anvilmaker from the era of your anvil. A payslip from 1946 shows a maker named 'Doggie' Taylor but him being there in 1902 ish is not very likely. Certainly would be cool to know though.

Steve

Time to make some hardy tools for her,found about 2 ft. of square stock that fits.Bending fork,and cut off tool.Cut off tool I have some old grader blade.Not sure of dimensions yet as this is new to me.Just cut and stick weld.Calves are keeping me busy.Thanks Steve.