I Forge Iron

Anvil Pattern/Style Question

I hope everyone is enjoying the approaching holiday season and that all is well.  I have a question that will most probably give me differing answers based on various experience, but…

… after doing a good bit of research and saving money, I am preparing to purchase an anvil and am torn between two.  Both are from Holland Anvil.  The first is the 68-pound Church Window hornless anvil and the other is the 80-pound double horn anvil.  The question is, is a horn a necessity?

I am getting a “lighter” anvil because my back yard forging area is not permanent and I’ll have to move things around easily/conveniently as needed.  I’m also building an anvil stand, unless I find a good sized stump that I can roll into my yard.

So… horned anvil or not to horned anvil, that is the question.

Thank you, in advance!

I don't use the horn that often, most often for drawing out, but I do use it and would miss it.  There is a reason that horned anvils replaced the block of metal variety, smiths found them more usable for general work.  So, I agree with Anvil, for me it would be the double horn.  You can get more use out of a lighter anvil if you have a heavier stand.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Good evening, gentlemen!

Thank you for the responses, they are very helpful.  I was leaning towards the no-horn anvil because of cost; the fact that a lot of the mass is under the face; and, thinking I could purchase a mandrel to act as a horn.

To Rojo Pedro: I am not interested in strictly bladesmithing.  Would I make a knife at some point in the future?  Eh, sure, but it is not my primary interest in blacksmithing.  I have been finding that my interest in blacksmithing is in the tool making and other functional items, so if I did make a knife it would most probably be a chef's knife or something similar.

At some point tomorrow, when I take a break from staring at spreadsheets, I am going to review the Holland Anvil website and look at their other available options.

Good choice. Both round and square horns will come in handy, and the extra bit of weight is good.

If you have access to steel and a welder, consider making a metal stand. They tend to be quieter than wood stands, for which the neighbors will thank you.

I just got on their site to see what you got and I'm intrigued. Granted I haven't done a ton (or any) research on the various anvils available new but I've never seen one with a side shelf. That was pretty interesting. The first thing I noticed was there wasn't a step but then I saw the step was between the feet. So when you make your stand, make sure to keep the base accessible. Or I guess you could just make a hardy tool to use as a step but really - the anvil has one so may as well use it, lol

I saw your comment earlier that you had thought you'd just use a cone mandrel in place of the horn and I just wanted to throw this out there - I use my horn more often for drawing out than I do for curls/bends. I'm glad to see you went with the double horn and I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of it sitting in whatever stand you make for it!

On 11/27/2022 at 6:47 PM, Rojo Pedro said:

I find both horns on my double horned to be very useful.

What do you use the square horn for? 

Good evening, Shainarue!

After reading a bit here and doing some research, I guess you could say that Holland Anvil won!  Hahaha!  As I am planning it right now, the stand I want to build will most probably be 6x6 posts with a bit of angle iron to provide a footprint for the anvil to sit in and prevent it from slipping around. 

I found a large section of an old telephone pole at the local soccer fields, but it's heavy.  Really heavy.  I am going to take another look at it one day this week.

I will post a picture or two once I get things set up.

Rich, one thing about using a stump or section of log or phone pole to watch out for is making sure that the 2 ends are cut parallel.  Otherwise you end up having to mess with wedges and shims either under the base or between the base and the anvil.  Good luck.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Good morning, George & SLAG!

Right you are about the stand having a level surface, top and bottom.  I also have to make sure that it stays level when I plant it in the ground, too.

You brought up something I had not thought about, though: chemical treatment.  I will leave the telephone pole chunks alone.

Rich, 

A good source for tree "stumps" are companies that cut down trees. (usually in cities). Garden centers may know of such companies.

Tell them that you are a blacksmith and not professional. Doing that will probably get a freeby.

Good luck with the hunt.

SLAG.

13 hours ago, Shainarue said:

The first thing I noticed was there wasn't a step but then I saw the step was between the feet.

That's an upsetting block, for when you're jumping up the end of a bar to make it thicker. Many Continental-style anvils (that is, European anvils not made in England) do not have a step.

I've never seen one with a side shelf.

That's for turning scrolls, as in this video clip (from John Switzer of Black Bear Forge): 

What do you use the square horn for? 

Here's another clip from the same video:

Thanks, SLAG!  I have a neighbor down the street who does landscaping.  I will ask him if he has one or can acquire one for me.

I got my shipping notice from Holland Anvil.  If all goes according to FedEx’s plan, I will have it in my possession on Friday.  I also received my Mr. Volcano single-burner forge today.  Slowly putting things together.  :)

I love the look of the double horn anvils but I have never used one before. I can see the uses that John Switzer talked about in his video. As much as I would like to buy/own a double horn anvil, I can think of many hardy tools to fit my London pattern anvils that are easily made that can do the same processes and they happen to be more cost effective for me to make than buying a double horned anvil in at the moment.