I Forge Iron

Thanksgiving 2022

TWISTEDWILLOW

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to give a stein a try! I'll bet part way through the second one and trout ice cream would taste good. Saw that one on a cooking competition once.

The scary thing was that "chef" didn't get eliminated to stop him from putting fish in the ice cream maker. One of the judges said the show's rules forbade eliminating all the contestants and they awarded everybody last  place based on looks. None of them would taste a dish. 

Trout ice cream is what sticks in my memory. It wasn't Iron Chef but one of the later cooking competitions. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 11/25/2022 at 3:08 PM, Scott NC said:

Hutspot!

same family as stamppot, the difference is hutsepot, you 'huts' the pot (more shaking and stirring) and with stamppot you 'stamp' it, you more or less mash is with a masher. (or at least, that is how they came to their name)

hutsepot is more used in belgium and stamppot more in the nederlands. Ingredients are more or less the same and i think every family has their own receipt. 

I like mine with a lot of brussel sprouts in it, some bacon (not baked to glasslike), onion, carrots, patato, turnips (not the blackadder ones). Just wait and everything falls apart, some stirring and ready to eat (now i want to make and eat it). Perfect with a baked sausage and some mustard. (and a glass of beer)

it is easy, you can't fail. i can share some good and easy receipts, but you have to translate from dutch to english.

google dagelijksekost.be and look on the website for hutsepot. or somethink else you want to try. Some thinks are typical belgian (stoofvlees, luikse balletjes, vol au vent, ...), you have "imported" food ( a lot of pastadishes or rise dishes) that is changed and is now typical and so one.

job, funny. I always make my hutsepot with onions and carrots, and i think a lot of people (at least all my friends). it tastes better, has a fuller taste. But i use onions in a lot of thinks, just for the little bit of sweeter taste.

My favorite recipe for Brussel spouts is melt a couple tablespoons of butter or margarine in a skillet, it does not have to be good or even real butter, the cheapest margarine will work. Make sure that the skillet is coated evenly so that when the sprouts are done they will slide easily out of the skillet into the trash can.  

Joking aside, i have found that many dishes will be called different names in different places when they are basically the same thing with just a few minor differences. A good example i can think of is that stuff they call chili in Cincinnati, that is actually a Mediterranean dish called moussaka. And for the record this Ohio boy can not stand the stuff, at least you dont need the butter in the skillet for it though. 

I was just reading a fascinating article about how selective breeding first ruined and then improved the taste of brussels sprouts. In a nutshell, about 40 years ago, breeders started selecting and reproducing plants that had all the lateral buds (along the stalk) ripen at once, so that they could be mechanically harvested with relative ease. Unfortunately, those strains were pretty bitter, and so a lot of kids who grew up back then now really hate brussels sprouts. However, a few years back, plant scientists identified the two compounds that cause the bitterness, identified some strains with low levels of those compounds, and crossbred them with the commercial all-buds-ripen-at-once varieties. The result is sprouts that taste much better, but are still easy to harvest.

(Before anyone starts to get bent out of shape about genetic modification and selective breeding, remember that cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and kohlrabi are all varieties of brassica oleracea (wild cabbage) that have been selectively bred for flower buds, flowers and leaves, lateral buds, terminal buds, and stems respectively.)

I halve brussels sprouts lenghwise through the stem and saute them in a hot pan with garlic butter. When you smell them browning I put a lid on the pan and pour about 1/4c half and half water and white wine, kill the heat and let them steam to finish. 

My Grandmother used to put a splash of white vinegar on green veggies except broccoli to cut the sulfur / bitterness. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Man has been using selective breeding of plants and animals since we started farming. Corn started out as a grass with a head not much different than todays wheat. Not sure how we got the T-rex down to chicken size though... really, look at just the past few decades how much the size of a chicken has increased. My only hassle with genetic modification would be when they introduce the "wrong" (for lack of a better term) genes into the crop. Like for instance fish DNA introduced into rye. I do not want my whiskey tasting like trout, although it may pair well with the trout ice cream. 

One of the staples of the table at supper time for us in the summer was a simple bowl with sliced cucumbers and onions covered with white vinegar. 

Frosty, grandma used to cook tiger lily buds kind of like that. She would saute them with a bit of onion then pour a broth in to steam them at the end. 

On 11/26/2022 at 9:23 PM, Frosty said:

Trout ice cream is what sticks in my memory. It wasn't Iron Chef but one of the later cooking competitions. 

The second season of Iron Chef America included Mary Sue Milliken making turkey ice cream. It was not well received.

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

I was just reading a fascinating article about how selective breeding first ruined and then improved the taste of brussels sprouts. In a nutshell, about 40 years ago, breeders started selecting and reproducing plants that had all the lateral buds (along the stalk) ripen at once, so that they could be mechanically harvested with relative ease. Unfortunately, those strains were pretty bitter, and so a lot of kids who grew up back then now really hate brussels sprouts. However, a few years back, plant scientists identified the two compounds that cause the bitterness, identified some strains with low levels of those compounds, and crossbred them with the commercial all-buds-ripen-at-once varieties. The result is sprouts that taste much better, but are still easy to harvest.

(Before anyone starts to get bent out of shape about genetic modification and selective breeding, remember that cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and kohlrabi are all varieties of brassica oleracea (wild cabbage) that have been selectively bred for flower buds, flowers and leaves, lateral buds, terminal buds, and stems respectively.)

I know funny eh. And they all tast so different. And most of them are so nice.

But brussel sprouts bitter? You never had witloof (google translate gives me chicory, but that is the family of plants i think) that is bitter.

12 hours ago, Jobtiel1 said:

Funny that you call all versions hutspot!

Over here it is called colcannon, mashed potato's, cabbage, carrots and onion or leeks. I guess that comes from some Irish lineage down the line. We make it so the mashed is a little lumpy and has some tooth. Oh & Brussels sprouts are sliced length ways & sauteed in bacon drippings with a lot of minced garlic mmmmm good.:)

When I was young a certain in charge family member loved boiled garden beets and they came up frequently on the dinner table and everybody had to eat thier "fair share".  It's a good thing we weren't picky eaters as kids.  But those beets....... 

I would probably love that pickled corn.  I never tried it yet.  I love pickled foods (my sister gave me a dill pickle Christmas tree ornament this year....:)).  A jar of Mezzetta Chicago Style Giardiniera won't last long around here.  I tried for a long time to duplicate it at home but it always lacked the zing of the boughten stuff.  Maybe it's the sodium benzoate or bisfulate or something.

We used to have boiled beets now and then, Dad loved them, Mom gave them a splash of vinegar, Mother, my little Sister and I pushed the bowl towards Dad. I've eaten them since and they're not bad, just not something I order off the menu. Pickled corn sounds interesting, I wonder it it'd make canned corn good for something other than bait? 

Maybe I should look up some pickling recipes and try some experimenting. 

A couple years ago a famous person called 911 and was taken to the ER, about an hour later his wife called and was transported. The ER staff was mystified until an older doc asked a couple questions. AYUP, the couple had harvested beets from their garden and eaten a bunch for dinner, neither was suffering from rectal bleeding. 

What disturbed me about the story was how many layers of medical "professionals" both had been seen by before someone asked what they'd eaten recently. Mother said I panicked the first time I noticed corn doesn't digest that well. Mother told some . . . childhood stories on us we'd rather didn't get out.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...