I Forge Iron

Thanksgiving 2022

TWISTEDWILLOW

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, and you as well! I've got the potatoes baking in the oven on preparation for being mashed. Ever since we brought mashed potatoes one year, it's been the only steady thing we're requested to bring. Really don't do anything special other than baking them. 

The turkey is waiting time to hit the oven, all the sides I can make ahead of time are waiting a plate and fork. I've never baked potatoes to mash, how do you prep them?

I know I have too much to be thankful for to list so I'm just thankful. I AM thankful to have you bunch of unherdable cats to talk to. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Bake them, scoop the innards out and into a bowl. Add milk, butter, whatever. Mash. 

That's really it. Nothing special. I do always want potato skins when we're done though, lol. I think this time I'll oil and salt a few before baking so they get crispy and have a snack at the ready! 

I AM the cook.:) Everything's ready to go, the turkey goes in in about 90 minutes and I'm having the first eggnog I've had in years they really spike my blood sugar but its Thanksgiving and I'll be compensating anyway. Boy have an eggnog every 3-4 years and they taste REALLY GOOD:D Now I'm really glad I hunted every spice isle I came to until I found unground nutmeg. NOTHING beats fresh ground nutmeg! A dusting will go nicely on the pumpkin pie too.

Frosty The Lucky.

Come on Jerry you ain’t foolin nobody!

y’all ain’t got no turkeys in the Klondike!

I always thought Y’all eat thanksgiving puffins or albatross maybe the stray Canadian Goose? :lol:

8 hours ago, Scott NC said:

collard greens

Those are really good when cooked with a hunk of hog meat!

Happy Turkey Day to everyone.

Jerry, maybe I should not be telling you this but it is possible to make your own eggnog with artificial sweetner rather than the off the shelf stuff which often tastes like it should be put on pancakes or waffles.  I haven't done it myself but I have heard of it being done.

Are you using a real nutmeg grinder or just a rasp from the shop?

GNM

We haven't held Thanksgiving at anyone's house in years. Always go out with what family & friends we have close, usually to a buffet. Last year we all gathered at ma's assisted living facility as they put on a good spread for residents and guests but this year we decided to take Ma out. We all gathered at a restaurant that we liked and had a Sunday ritual of meeting for breakfast. 

Due to covid the restaurant was closed and it has new owners now. It is reopened after some extensive renovations, so we all agreed to meet there for Thanksgiving. Ma was thrilled to get out and "air her fur" as she would say. We all had a great time and the spread they provided was fantastic. Each plate had ham, turkey, lumpy mashed potato's & gravy, dressing, sweet potato's with walnut pieces, green bean casserole, corn, cranberry sauce and a choice of pumpkin or pecan pie with real whipped cream for desert.

We all gobbled till we wobbled and had a great time.

As a bonus, I was able to return to our friends their Ike Doss Ozark hoe that needed a new haft. I made a new haft that matched the age of the hoe in looks and they were thrilled to get it back. They said ti was going on their wall with other antiques. Funny thing, while I was working on that hoe, every time I touched the original steel, I could feel Ike's presence there, almost thought I heard him say,"you gonna look at it or hit it". :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

If you mash collard greens together with potatoes and small pieces of bacon you have a very nice Dutch meal, called "Boerenkool stamppot' Very nice with a bit of gravy and sausage.

Happy (belated) thanksgiving to you! We have an American colleague that brought cakes yesterday.

~Jobtiel

I don't live even CLOSE to the Klondike, Billy and you better believe we have turkeys here, even the feathered kind. I was surprised the first time I saw one, then the flock flushed and darned if there isn't a flock of turkeys living in the area for a good 10 years I know of. They aren't natural here but they seem to do fine. A Canadian Goose isn't stray if it comes within range in season. A little greasy for my taste but good eating.

George: I have a set of micro plane lids for a plastic box that is my nutmeg grinder. Deb got me a set of them years ago, a number of boxes with a bunch of different size and type micro plane lids. The real trick is not planing your thumb when using it. I store the current nut in the box and the rest in the freezer. Fresh ground makes ground nutmeg taste like dust. It's like fresh grated parmesan cheese, the stuff in the jar just sort of looks like grated parmesan no comparison in flavor. From hint to no question, stick to your tastebuds goodness.

Well, dinner and prolonged nap over. It's bed time Night all.

Frosty The Lucky.

11 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

cooked with a hunk of hog meat!

I'm a fan.  My sister cooked up a pot of it and it had chopped up fatback or salt pork or whatever it's called here.  

4 hours ago, Jobtiel1 said:

Boerenkool stamppot

Sounds delicious, on my list.  Thanks.  A search revealed several interesting variations as well.

Hope everyone had a good day yesterday. Wife had to work so we had a late dinner. 

I have only ever eaten collard greens as mixed greens, mustard, spinach, dandelion, etc. in one dish that we called "wilt greens". Pretty simple and easy to make, put your greens in a bowl and pour hot bacon grease over top of them. 

Not collard greens but whenever I have greens of any sort that are on the edge of going bad, I pile them into a skillet with just a touch of water and cover until they're cooked down. Then drizzle with red wine vinegar. So delicious.

Stamppot - when I learned of that dish a few years ago, I felt like I would truly fit in with Nederlanders. Mixing anything with potatoes is a win in my book. 

Jeff, I had a bacon milkshake awhile back. It was surprisingly good, but also surprisingly too much flavor. I wasn't able to finish it.

We had a good day yesterday with my family. We didn't bring any leftovers home. All my other siblings have a bunch of kids so I figured they could probably use a break for making dinner today.