I Forge Iron

Buffalo 660 down draft forge

giantdude33

I am looking for a part for a buffalo 660 downdraft forge. The forge is complete except for the blower and the re-circulation tube that goes from the back of the forge to the blower inlet. I may be able to find the blower but the tube will be a challenge. If anyone knows of someone that has a forge parts junkyard any help is appreciated.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tough one; those forges are rare enough to start with, let alone finding spare parts. I would imagine that you could fabricate something, though. Do you have pictures of what you've got so far?

We had some other discussion of this a couple of years ago; here's that thread:

If you have a good drawing a large truck type muffler shop shouldn't have trouble making the "duct". Of course you can buy exhaust pipe and weld it up yourself. You'll need what, one elbow and a couple short sections, maybe a size adapter? 

Finding THE parts will be a quest of near  D&D proportions, might even run into a sooty old dragon.

Frosty The Lucky.

For interest's sake, here's an image from the Buffalo Forge catalog:

image.png.e696cdacd18465580fcb03619cc6b5d0.png

For those not familiar with this design, the intake for the blower was connected with the downdraft hood at the back of the forge, so that all the gasses and smoke coming out of the fire would be recycled through the blower and reburned. (This is the same principle as the smoke catcher that Alexander Weygers describes in The Modern Blacksmith.) Here's a view with the hood removed:

1998453956_Buffalo660.thumb.jpg.add71330b6534df1e5d08278bc471a14.jpg

Note the flap on the tuyere inlet tube; this can be opened to allow fresh air into the blower once the fire is well-established and not producing as much smoke.

Here's another view, showing the hood. Note that this has openings both for the downdraft and for an upper flue to remove the final combustion products (carbon monoxide etc). 

20181007_160339.jpg

Note that these downdraft forges are not the same as the big stationary forges that Buffalo made that could also be set up with a downdraft flue:

image.png.41c739d89001ab040a72792ad46a8d29.png

The Model 02 D was designed to completely remove all smoke and fumes through the downdraft flue, whereas the downdraft part of the flue on the Model 660 was only for smoke reduction; the final exhaust was still via a standard updraft.

Some folks have asked for pictures so I wanted to include what I have so far. The forge is complete except for the 200 blower and the gas return tube. My father had it buried in his barn for 40 years and I recently rescued it. Please keep me in mind if you run across anyone that may have parts.  Many thanks for the responses and assistance. 

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

If you have a good drawing a large truck type muffler shop shouldn't have trouble making the "duct". Of course you can buy exhaust pipe and weld it up yourself. You'll need what, one elbow and a couple short sections, maybe a size adapter? 

Finding THE parts will be a quest of near  D&D proportions, might even run into a sooty old dragon.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the quest will be hard but I am hopeful. I am one of those guys that like to restore back to original...I know, it's a sickness. Last year I had a No.3 Buffalo blower missing the 1/2 moon gear and finally found that part so I remain optimistic in my quest. 

20 hours ago, JHCC said:

That's a tough one; those forges are rare enough to start with, let alone finding spare parts. I would imagine that you could fabricate something, though. Do you have pictures of what you've got so far?

We had some other discussion of this a couple of years ago; here's that thread:

I have posted some pictures. Many thank for the thread.

3 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

I’ve got a lot of forge parts and parts forges but I ain’t got anything for a an down draft rigs, I’ll keep my eye out here locally though for you, if I come across any parts I’ll let ya know,

I appreciate your keeping an eye out for me. Thanks in advance for all your help.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

The probabilities are laughably remote but I'll keep an eye out too.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for your help . It is greatly appreciated.

JHCC is that your forge? 

I always wanted a 660 with catcher..   

Giant dude33 3" auto mobile mandrel bent U will cover you..     Is it cast iron like the original "no"..  But it will work and then you can customize it for an exact fit. 

In 40+ years I've only seen 4 of these...  They always have parts missing, are cracked or broken...   

At some point I might make a new fabricated one because they do work and the design is pretty straight forwards once you see what they were trying to do. 

3 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

JHCC is that your forge? 

No, those are a couple of images I grabbed online. My solid fuel forge (currently serving as a junk repository, as I've been burning gas for several years) is described HERE.

• 3 months later...

We have a buffalo company no 660 forge that has been in in storage for long time (barn find).  Seems complete and in fairly good condition - might be selling but cannot seem to find what it might be worth.  Any ideas or suggestions on how to find or get it appraised.

For an unusual item like that, a look at the “Sold” listings on eBay is probably your best bet. It’s a very rare item, though, so you may not find anything there. You could check Worthpoint, but that requires a membership. 

2 hours ago, HTINVA said:

might be selling but cannot seem to find what it might be worth.  Any ideas or suggestions on how to find or get it appraised

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma and welcome to the forum!

you got pictures of it? Condition goes a long ways towards price,

Some background I found out for the forge;  It was purchased from a school county auction in western part of Virginia early to mid 90's.  The high school had an Ag Shop class where students would learn blacksmithing and welding - a family member remembers using forge while taking the class.  We believe school was using it from the 60's to the 90's. 

It does appear to be concrete in the pan.  Not sure but there appears to be an electric motor underneath as well - could the school have used an alternative fuel source at some point and filled in the pan to support whatever the students were working on?    

Blackwater forge of this forum posted a 6660 with both a hand crank and electric blower attached but had no pictures.  PACO312 had a picture of a 6660 posted very similar to yours. If you could post a picture of the back that would be great. It should have a gas return tube connected back to the blower.