I Forge Iron

Thoughts about Seeds

gmbobnick

Ever wonder about how an apple was designed?  The seeds are at the core and are surrounded by fleshy fruit…full of nourishment and moisture, protecting the seeds and providing a care package of water and nutrition.  A seed might tenderly take root in the spring and form a sprout…protected by a mulch of leaves from the parent tree until it can stand on its own against the next winter.

I think people and their purposes and passion function the same general way.  Lifelong passions tend to go through phases that are analogous to that of a growing tree. 

First is drive to accomplish something or anything.  It doesn’t need to be much so long as it delivers a sense of achievement… instilling the confidence “I can do this”.  The seed sprouts.

Second, there is a need to prove oneself capable.  Nothing says that better than repetition of achievement. The tree grows to maturity.

Next is desire for mastery.  That is, to be at the top of one’s game and somewhere in the upper echelon of those with the same pursuit.  The tree bears fruit.

Then there is a need to mentor those just starting out, possibly motivated by gratefulness for our own opportunities, teachers, survival of near misses etc.  The tree protects its progeny.

Finally, if we live long enough and retain the energy, it’s about enjoying the process.  The smells and sounds are savored.  We can laugh and enjoy the circumstances.  We can anticipate outcomes better and make them more valuable to others and to us.  The tree stops bearing fruit, but still provides shade and weather protection through its broad canopy and strong trunk.

But it all starts with a seed.  Somehow against all the adversity and myriad obstacles, a seed of passion sprouted and grew for us.  We all have our story.

There is just something about this thing we chase after that thrills us deep in our soul, as it does for others too whether they yet know it or not.

I believe that seed is often planted at a very early age.  Yes the soil might be like a heritage in our blood that precedes the severed umbilical cord.  But the sprout can either be nurtured or destroyed on that same soil.

It’s a great responsibility for those who made it to the latter phases of their passion to plant seeds and help them grow and thrive.  If the thing we are passionate about was worth doing for us and it delivered something useful for our kind in the eyes of our Creator, then it’s worth being careful to help the seed bear fruit in time for others as well. 

Patience and kindness are like water and fertilizer.

Just a few thoughts.

Good analogies for an ideal person and situation.  I think many of us here generally follow the trend you describe.  However, many fold don't go down that path.  Their seed never germinates or grows in toxic or mutated directions.  This can be anger, dominance or mastery over others, or just nonproductive pursuits.  And the person's tree can be pushed into twisted, non-productive directions by things outside the person's control such as a toxic home environment, mental difficulties, health, and, sometimes, simple bad luck.

Fortuantely, our trees are surprising resilient.  The blown down or burnt or diseased tree can still send out a new green shoot which can grow into a productive branch or trunk.  Many of us here have overcome significan obstacles, physical, emotional, financial, etc. to be happy and healthy.

I find it rather sad that so many people do not grow from the seed the way you describe.  I think most folk are conciously or unconciously pursuing what makes them feel good, positive feedback or pleasure in some way.  Most of us here are "doers" who get pleasue out of accomplishing something tangible but if someone gets equal pleasure from sitting on the couch watching sports then that is fine for them.  The positive feed back can be from physical or financial security, loving and being loved, actual or vicarious accomplishment, and a general sense of doing good for yourself or others.

The seed often grows as you describe and the plant/person tries to achieve a good life but mutations and environmental conditions can send the person/tree in different directions. (To try to keep to you theme and analogy.)

Thanks for your thoughts.  I'm sure others will have more to say.  Maybe Rockstar will chime in.  This is kind of in his wheelhouse and we haven't heard from him in awhile.

GNM

All organisms are a product of nature and nurture and all take a different path then their progenitors, how much and how far are the question.

Thanks for the thoughts and perspective. Weather's blowing in it'll be a good day to ponder things.

Frosty The Lucky.

George -

Sometimes I feel part of a virtual coffee shop klatch trying to solve the world's problems....

Nevertheless, I am convinced that much of the confusion we see in people today is traceable to good seeds full of potential and value not given the what they need to grow by parents and those who could be teachers and mentors, but are as you say...too absorbed in their own pleasures.  Meanwhile, the world plants weeds. 

There is sacrifice and dedication needed to keep order and virtue thriving.  But fewer and fewer are on board. 

Just wanted to spread a word of encouragement to those with a passion to be productive and fruitful, such as is common among our blacksmithing brethren.

Yeah, sometimes I think we're all sitting around a kitchen table just kicking things we are interested in around.  Most often it is blacksmithing but it can be lots of other things and we are really interested and caring when someone is going through a rough patch.  The old saying that "friends are the family you choose" really fits.  We are a family with all the love and eccentricities that come with that.

To come back to your original thought:  I think that most people try to good and be good folk.  That does not get the media coverage that it should.  As they used to say back when there was only print meda, "good news doesn't sell papers."  Unfortunately, some folk just don't have it in them to be good and to function coreectly in society.  Back in my County Attorney days I did a lot of child protection cases.  Often, folk loved their kids as much as anyone but just didn't have it in them to be "minimally adequate parents."  Sometimes that was because of substance abuse, sometimes mental issues, and sometimes they just weren't bright enough to be able to do it.  It was sad really.  What kept me going was knowing that we usually were able to make it a better situation for the kids.

And I will say that blacksmithing has helped make me feel "productive and fruitful" for the last 44 years.  When you hold an object that did not exist until you put your hands and mind to it you can't help but feel a little proud of yourself.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

As an only child I live buy that, George. 
At the risk of getting a nasty gram for Glenn and co. The news media, politicians and preachers are in the business of selling fear and hate.

Jerry, welcome to the fruit and nut stand…

Nick, I am particular about my friends, some of the best post here. Even if I never get the honor to break bread with them. 
I figure the world would be better if we turned of the news and actually met our neighbors. They are generally dang good people.