I Forge Iron

CRUEL!

I guess if you're going to destroy a tool to make something useless you might as well tell the world so they'll be forewarned. I'd 86 his machine shop privileges, maybe even if it were his machine shop.

Happily I discovered some years ago the anvil the Mythbusters destroyed with thermite:o was a Chinese cast iron ASO purchased for the purpose. Still . . . 

Frosty The Lucky.

With all due respect, he is from an anvil rich country, we have no idea if the anvil was still usable, or what condition it was in, if it damaged was it salvageable, or is it cheaper to buy another instead of fixing it, from what I could see when he milled down the face it appears to be soft like wrought iron not hardened steel. What one does with his own tools is up to them. Just because we over here in America think that this was sacrilege doesn't necessarily mean it was in their eyes, to each their own.

It was a waste regardless. As mentioned a chunk of mild steel would have done as good a job. Seen people treat what others would treasure like trash or whatever before. It doesn't raise my hackles, just sad a bit about a butchered anvil out there. 

As said, to each their own. And it was theirs to use as they wished. Shame, but other anvils have been melted in scrap piles for pennies per pound before. Even bigger shame that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 1:33 PM, FlatLiner said:

or is it cheaper to buy another instead of fixing

Yeah that might have been the deal,

I got a 130 pound mouse hole that’s totally trashed setting out in the weeds by the shop, 

I bought it thinking I’d reface it until I looked at the price of stoody rods per pound and laughed, 

I could buy something ready to use cheaper than wasting effort an money on it