I Forge Iron

Vulcan 17 1/2 steel faced anvil

FB Marketplace find.  Listed @$700.  Is that reasonable.  Before you answer, I have to tell what my Dad used to say to people who asked him if a boat was worth the asking price; ''It is worth what you will pay for it.''  I am considering offering $500.  The piece shows little wear or abuse.  Thoughts?

No photo description available.

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma and welcome to the forum!

anvils vary greatly in price from region to region so it depends on what your local goin rate is, $2-$4 a pound is fair for something usable, $5-6 a pound for something in good shape, to much higher then that an you’d be better off buying a new cast steel anvil, 

Vulcans have a cast iron body with a tool steel face and have a reputation of chipping really bad, that being said some of our members have Vulcans and they love them so it’s a matter of preference I suppose,

one nice thing about cast iron based anvils is they are much quieter then wrought iron or cast steel anvils! 
So if you have neighbors close by that’s a plus!

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you  might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

As Billy said Vulcans are quiet anvils, the hard steel face on the cast iron body damps resonance so they can't "ring". The steel face on Vulcans isn't very thick and tend to develop a way as the face gets pushed into the body and iron doesn't rebound so it stays. 

They're good anvils but not top shelf but still up to good work. Prices depend a lot on location, in Alaska it would've sold almost immediately at that price but in the mid west it'd probably rust away before selling. That's a pretty fair counter offer but I'd check and see what anvils have sold for. Asking and selling prices are two different things.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. I'm one of those guys who have a 110 pound Vulcan and love/hate it. The anvil steel face on Vulcan's are thin compared to say a Fisher, so they do chip a lot especially for someone who has poor hammer control or tries to do heavy striking on them.(That's the hate part) They are quiet (that's love part). Mine has one chip at the heel and I can see the thickness of the plate. Like Billy said the price of any anvil depends on the weight, location and condition.

If that Vulcan weighs 500 pounds then $700 U.S, would be a good price. If it weighs 100 pounds or less it would be an outrageous high price. If you let us know the weight and location I bet we can nail down a good price for it. Usually they have the weight cast into the base 10=100lb 20=200lb 30=300lb and so on. Another number cast into the base is the year it was cast, mine has 43 so cast in 1943.

100_1800.thumb.JPG.1562717ba7407e09945f378fe8c9e42e.JPG