I Forge Iron

As tactically as I could represent for my taste

templehound

....using very old stock green canvas micarta....well, it is so dense pigmented that it appears practically black and it misses the white fibers
which I never appreciated in recent micarta qualities....if I had more of the stuff I would use more micarta.
The blade sports the German Aogami version 1.2419 (105WCr6) and the liners are milled 6Al4V Titanium with separated spring.
Spring and clip both made from high carbon spring steel 1.1274 (Ck101) with its own heat treatment.

Cheers

Ta1.JPG

Ta2.JPG

Ta3.JPG

Ta4.JPG

Ta5.JPG

Ta6.JPG

• 5 months later...

Templehound, as usual, very nice.  I don't think I have ever seen one of your blades that had any room for improvement in it. You, like Alexandr, are an inspiration.

IIRC, English is not your first language (I have a sense that you may be a German expat living in Thailand).  So, I am not sure if you mean "tactically" meaning low to medium level decisions, often about warfare, e.g. tactical versus strategic objectives. Or "tactfully" meaning doing something as "nicely" as possible, using "tact."

Yours,

G

George, thanks for the kind words on the knife!....yes, I am a German expat living in Thailand and the knife was ordered by an English expat (living in my neighbourhood)

he is an retired marine who served in Afghanistan....so  in his taste he is emotionally bound to some tactical military look on knives like micarta, G10, carbon, blade grinds that pry well but won't cut and he became a good friend.

I am not into that kind of tactical knives at all, which is obvious when you look at my style of knife making, but for a friend of course I will do as " tactically as I could represent for my taste".....using "tact" nicely to a low level decision....:D

Cheers

When I was fresh out of Engineman School USCG and stationed at New London Conn. My Masterchief gave me this advice on decision making, which has stuck with me all these years. Rules we were required to know.

"Before you get the keys to the boat rule # 1: 90% of the decisions you make don't matter so just make one. You are bound to be right 90% of the time, and a fair decision today is better than a perfect one tomorrow. Rule number 2: 10% of the decisions you make do matter, and that is why we trained you, to know the difference. Delaying a decision needlessly can often turn what was a 90% decision into a 10% decision, so just make a decision".

Irondragon,  I got a bit lost in that.  I agree that most things work out for the best, so 90% of decisions will be OK.  And I definitely agree that an OK decision now is better thana perfect decision tommorrow or next week.  "The prefect is the enemy of the good." But I am not sure I quite get your last sentence, turning a 90% decision into a 10% decision.  Do you mean that delaying the decision changes it from one that doesn't really matter into one that does matter?  That said, Master Chiefs and Master SERgents have a lot of good wisdom to dispense but, often, they are not known to be the most articulate folk around.

Thx.

GNM

I have to go along with George. 90% of decisions aren't very important unless you let them slide in which case their importance increases, sometimes to critical failures.

For example many years ago we were working just north of Seward and a local stopped to shoot the breeze. Turned out he was auctioning his shop and was getting the word out to non-locals. I went by after work to see what he had and ended up buying quite a bit pre-auction. One of the things on the block was a 1,200 lb. Fisher anvil. I told him I'd have to think about it (mostly about getting it the 600 miles home) but it was gone the next day. 

It's not so much I've ever needed a ship wrights anvil but everything was going crazy cheap. His sons weren't interested in taking over a business that'd been running strong for better than 100 years and were just going to sell it all. So the old man decided to sell it himself and spend as much as possible before he died. I heard it went for around $500. 

Indecision can really bite you. I could've rented a Uhaul  trailer and towed it behind the work truck.

Frosty The Lucky.