I Forge Iron

Huge hammer identification

Ferdinand

Hello everyone all over the world,

Let me introduce myself:

My name is Ferdinand from the Netherlands and i found a interesting hammer in Sweden. It is absolutely huge, the head is 37cm long (14,5") and the handle 90cm (35,5") and the weight is 19 kilo's (thats a wopping 42 lbs!!). The shape is almost like a old rail spike hammer, long and tapered. I am unable to find anything even remotely resembling this hammer in size. There are no markings or stamps on the hammer. Does anyone know anything about hammers in this size or shape? Maybe to set a forge weld?IMG_20221010_121007.jpg

IMG_20221010_120955.jpg

Welcome aboard from over the pole Ferdinand, glad to have you. If you're going to stay on the forum putting your general location in the header will make it ore likely to meet up with members in your area. We have a number of Nederlander members.

WHOPPING heavy hammer is an excellent description of that beast. NO idea what it was made for and am glad I never had to swing one like it. I'll bet it'd be a ONE hit wonder in most any blacksmith shop. 

Frosty The Lucky.

16 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

we dont hit hard to set a forge weld, so NO, not that

Thanks for sharing! 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard from over the pole Ferdinand, glad to have you. If you're going to stay on the forum putting your general location in the header will make it ore likely to meet up with members in your area. We have a number of Nederlander members.

WHOPPING heavy hammer is an excellent description of that beast. NO idea what it was made for and am glad I never had to swing one like it. I'll bet it'd be a ONE hit wonder in most any blacksmith shop. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey there Frosty,

Thanks for welcoming me! There are a lot of interesting subjects on this forum. I will be checking in from time to time to learn and satisfy my curiosity.

I've seen forge welds "set" with a wooden hammer handle.  With good technique you need VERY little force!  (In fact hitting too hard tends to bounce the weld apart making it a failure!)

I've seen quite heavy sledges used to break rocks and flatten large steel plates; however they did not have the "drilling hammer" shape to them.  Lots of impact with a fairly small face on that one.

This is pure speculation but could this huge hammer head originally have been part of a helve type of power hammer which was subsequently dismantled and a hand handle added?  Maybe as a sort of gag/joke to have in someone's shop.  I will say that anything hit with it would stay hit.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey there Frosty,

Thanks for welcoming me! There are a lot of interesting subjects on this forum. I will be checking in from time to time to learn and satisfy my curiosity.

9 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

That there  is a big hammer! They must bread ‘‘em big in the Netherlands!

Its true , the Dutch are the tallest people on the planet! I am 1,93cm thats 6,33ft and thats not that uncommon. However this is a Swedish hammer...maybe they are the strongest? 

Welkom op het forum Ferdinand, hoop dat je er veel leert en vooral plezier hebt!

Welcome to the Forum Ferdinand, hope you learn a lot and above all have fun!

What a hammer, If I had it I'd make a treadle hammer with it. I picked up a roughly 13-15 kg sledge at a flea market that I'm going to use with a treadle hammer. As for striking with it, that might be a little much.

~Jobtiel

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Maybe it's Thor's other hammer. "OOF!"

Frosty The Lucky.

Mjölnir whas forged with this hammer probably..... Not a hammer for us mortal humans.. There is a lot of Basalt rock in the area i found it, could it be a rock splitting hammer?  When i have time to build a workshop i will give it a nice place to display.