I Forge Iron

Enough material for a knife?

Will Brouwers

This might be too ambitious for a beginner blacksmith like me, but I have this knife drawn up, with the hopes of forging it out of 1/4 leaf spring, 1 1/2 inches wide. The question is: do you think this will be enough material for what I am aiming for. My overall length would hopefully be around 7 3/4 inches.

image.jpg

Will, I would say that 1/4" is more than enough, maybe even a bit too much.  Don't forget the old adage, "Forge thick and grind thin, if a good blade you would win."

Before starting I suggest taking a amall piece of the spring, maybe 3 cm by 6 cm and experiment with heat treating to make sure what you plan to do will work.  Heat and quench and test for hardness.  Then temper and test hardness and maybe malleability by putting it in the vise and seeing if it will bend or break when hit sideways.

Some springs are made of odd alloys which are hard to heat treat in the shop.  I've had some that would never harden.  You don't want to discover a heat treating issue after you have put in your time forging and grinding.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Well, results of today. I forged for 2 hours, and made lots of mistakes. The final mistake was to gently dip it in water a couple times to cool it so I could see how I liked it in my hand. Then it cracked.

Chucking it in the water bucket didn’t help either, but now I am thinking, can this be salvaged? It would sure be a thin profile though…

F5702E48-2667-44F4-8E39-5E957E1D21C1.jpeg

5CF3BF8A-3827-4909-ADD8-BF01E4FD3A1B.jpeg

OOPS! This is a great example of the advise I just gave a member about rushing making mistakes permanent more quickly. I agree with Neil about keeping it as is to remind yourself how far you've come in the future. It's also good to show folks YOU are teaching the ropes as one of your starting project fails. Mistakes are one of the BEST teachers, saving yours so others can learn from it is better.

However, if you REALLY want to make a knife from it all you need do is cut it at the breaks, sand it CLEAN and shiny, place it between steel in a stack and forge weld it into a billet, draw it out and repeat until you're SURE there aren't any cold shuts in it and forge your blade.

Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning,

Or it will imbed the cracks into your now homogenous piece. Your luck will show up near the last, when you are putting the final finish on your creation. A Crack-Ectomy!!!. When it is cracked, STOP!!. Hang it on your wall of Knowledge. Start again with your new knowledge still fresh.

Enjoy the ride!!

Neil

Will, you don't need to forge weld to make excellent knives.  That is only necessary to make pattern welded/damascus blades which are not superior to a blade made out of a single type of steel.  They may be "prettier" if your aesthetics run in that direction but they will not be superior cutting tools.  Design, forging a shape, grinding/filing, heat treating, building a hilt, and leather work are IMO skills that should be mastered before getting into pattern welding.

Also, in my experience only about 20-25% of building a blade is actually forging and heat treating.  The rest is all bench work, grinding polishing, hilt and handle making, sheath making, etc..  That is why I don't do knives that often.  I'd rather be hitting hot iron.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."