I Forge Iron

A anvil I inherited

Hi my name is brooke and live in the uk. My grandma passed away a couple of years ago. She always had this anvil outside of her house I suppose as a ornament. No story with it I know of how it came to her house. But we live in a old nailers town. I've always loved it and so it's been passed on to me. No makers mark but qould love if someone would be able to tell me a little about it. Even what it's made of. I'll attach some pics. Thanks in advance for any help it's been outside for at least 20+ years in all weather 

20221013_093248.thumb.jpg.2a8f40ffe7d8afdfaf605a7302c95384.jpg

20221013_093310.jpg

20221013_093326.jpg

20221013_093444.jpg

20221013_093411.jpg

20221013_093547.jpg

It’s a wroght iron anvil that was forge welded together with a tool steel face

lack of a pritchel hole on a London pattern would date it probably early 1800s 

England had a lot of different anvil manufacturers, so it’d be hard to say for sure who made it,

there’s two books out by author Richard Postman one is called Anvils in America the other is Mouse Hole Forge,

if you really want to learn in depth about the history of English anvils, their construction, their manufactures, ect.. I’d highly recommend getting both books, 

they aren’t Available digitally but you can order both books online from a lot of sellers,

Welcome aboard, Brooke, from 7500' in SE Wyoming, USA.  Glad to have you.

Even though the anvil is about 200 years old there is life in the old girl yet.  It could be put back into service easily.  Any wear can be worked around.

Personally, I would like to either see you develop an interst in the craft an put it back into use or see it passed on to a working smith who would use it.  Old tools are best when used, not made into decorations IMO.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. I also think it looks like a Mouse Hole Forge anvil, or one made by someone who worked for them and set out on their own making anvils like they trained on . If I remember right the lack of a pritchel hole dates to pre 1830. Here is a good article about the forge.

https://www.pittwateronlinenews.com/mousehole-anvil.php

Good Morning Brooke,

It looks like a Brooks Anvil, or is that a Brookes Anvil. It came to you with feeling, feeling from your Family. It doesn't get any better!! If you use it the way it is, you will automatically clean up some of the surface patina. You can clean it with a wire wheel, DO NOT GRIND ON IT. It will still be in good condition for your Grandchildren!! It still has centuries of good use ahead on it.

Welcome from the left coast of Canada. Enjoy your Journey!!

Neil

As far as I know, never seen a Brooks without a pritchel hole, although they may exist. Don't know exactly when Brooks were first produced but research indicated the earliest date for John Brooks anvils was 1891. Also most I've seen have heavier feet and the later ones were cast steel.

Hi everyone Brooke again, wow was not expecting such a response. Thank you to everyone who replied!. I was also not expecting it to be 200 years old just wow. I'm definitely going to have a read into the craft and art of smithing. I've just always been drawn to it. You just don't see them anymore. It's 22 half Inch from one end of the horn to the other end.

Brooke, the blacksmithing craft has certainly attracted all of us.  I've been doing it since 1978 and it has been a positive addition to my life.  It has helped me thought tough times and increased my happiness in good times.  It can be tough as a career, just as any single person skill can be tough as a sole source of income, but it can be a nice supplemental source and it can pay for itself, which is something that most hobbies cannot do.  

Browsw around on the IFI site and the internet to see what sort of things can be done.  There are some marvelous things out there.  Also, your skill will be continously improving.  We all started as rookies.

Good luck and I hope you stick around.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."