I Forge Iron

What are cable company amp cases made of?

What are cable company amp cases made of? Cast aluminum? Magnet does not stick. These are old C-core amplifier cases. I think they are cast aluminum? I have not done a spark test yet. Just wondering if any of you guys have messed with them. I would like to melt them down if they are aluminum and do not have any magnesium in them.

20221011_165031.jpg

20221011_165053.jpg

20221011_165104.jpg

The best way to find out would be to zap it with an XRF gun. If you are friends with the folks at a junkyard/recycling facility, they might do it for you.

Otherwise, you could shave off a little bit and hit it with a torch to see if it flares.

Closest BIG scrap yard to me is SA Recycling or PSC metals. I will have to call and see if they have a XRF gun. Thanks guys. If anyone knows anything or a cheap way to find out, please respond below. I pecked it with a grinder and no sparks.

12 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

The question in our minds is is it magnesium or aluminum. A few scrapings lit with a match or lighter will tell you the difference. The aluminum will just sit there and the mag will light up and dance. Zinc alloys are heavier than aluminum. 

I had a guy that owns a scrap yard tell me that he thinks that it is cast aluminum. He did not know if it had any magnesium or zinc in it though. I will try the "scrape" test next. Thank you!

That seems pretty heavy to be magnesium or aluminum. I'll wager it's a zinc-aluminum alloy due to the weight as well as the use of the thin 'fins' which are easier to cast when zinc is involved. This would also allow for lower production costs since casting temp is lower and zinc is just cheaper in general. Also a zinc-aluminum alloy would have the best corrosion resistance.

Zinc will react to acids while aluminum will react to alkaline chemicals. If you have some CLR, pool acid, or muriatic acid it will react with zinc shavings.