I Forge Iron

Identifying Serial Number of Trenton Anvil

I want to sell the Trenton anvil that I own. I'm not sure if my grandfather or great-grandfather originally purchased it. I've checked the book Anvils In America by Richard Postman for the serial number plus poked around the internet. I think numbers on the face are 140 is the weight of the anvil, 1299 is the serial number. Is 74 a rating for the steel? If I am correct on the serial number it was manufactured in 1898. I checked the rebound with ball bearings, it seems to be good. I plan on selling it with the block of wood that it is on and the tools. I've taken a wire brush to it but it can use more cleaning. I realize that the edges are not in pristine condition. Please ignore the mess behind the anvil, raccoons got into the shop and created a mess that I have yet to clean up.

I have someone who is interested in the anvil but I want to be fair to both of us when pricing it. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

IMG_6008.jpg

IMG_6013.jpg

IMG_6016.jpg

Prices are LOCATION specific; are you in Australia or the UK?  (Or Finland, Crete, Argentina, Israel, ...)  Stick it on a bathroom scale for  a true weight.  Edges look pretty good. normal wear. DON'T try to "fix" anything; for me evidence of a repair drops the price by 50% as I can't tell if it was done *right*  just by looking!

I am in Wisconsin. When I have help I will try the bathroom scale. It is well anchored on the wood block that it is on so I have been hesitant to take it off even though I've been curious to tip it to see the bottom. My father would use it to straighten pieces that got bent on the farm or when putting new sickle blades on the mower sickle. 

I’m a little outta date, The last Trenton I bought was six years ago, it was 176 pounds an had crisp edges I gave $300 which was fair then, 

prices have risen since then, I’d say you would be fair At $3.50 to $4.00 a pound for a Trenton in that condition, if it has good rebound an ring but I don’t know your local goin rates thats based off of here

I'd agree with Twisted Willow as an average price in the midwest from all I've seen and heard.  This is dependent on a good bounce test and a uniform ring across the face.

It's a nice anvil and if you proposed sale falls thorough you should have no trouble selling to someone else.

Don't be reluctant to separate it from the stand.  It can be reattached if the buyer wants to or he may want to build his own stand.  His ideal working height may be different than what it is at now.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

She looks to be in pretty good shape for a working anvil. The little bit of edge wear visible isn't bad at all. 

She just looks to be spiked to the block, replacing it won't be an issue, maybe have to drive them in a little different place or angle to get into fresh wood. The new owner will probably want to make a stand that suits their height so unless he's the same height ad arm length as your Father or Grandfather he'll need a new stand anyway. Please feel free to refer him here if he wants a new stand, we have a large section about anvil stands, and how to get it right.

Frosty The Lucky.