I Forge Iron

Kaowool liner. I've got a new kaowool blanket for my lil forge.

I've got a new kaowool blanket for a lil 5x9x7 single burner forge Everyone has helpfully told me to enhance this plain blanket w kiln wash ridgidizer. Does anyone know 

1 what quantities of each do I need 

2 Do they make a kit

3 where buy the kit 

4 with, blanket, ridgidizer, bricks and kiln wash do I have every single product needed to start and finish job. There's a water squirter in the kitchen. There always seems to be 1 more thing necessary wherever I find myself. Still got tons to study and learn but I wanted to get order in asap and get it headed my way. Wire rope arrives Tuesday

Thanks and I'm still processing all the info my last question yielded me.

Thanks for helping 

And 4 sides total or 3? Are Ttractor supply co's firebricks are ok? They're on sale this week for 4.99 I think. Been using a replacement one on the bottom under flame and it seems to "work" ok*.  ( *Many helping have said fire might be lean)

If yal have a chance

Tx

5lbs of Kastolite should be plenty, seal extra in an air tight container and save it in case you need more later.

A pint can of Plistex should be more than you need seal and save extra for later. 

I don't use a firebrick of any kind in a propane forge but if you must then use a morgan k-26 and kiln wash it.

Tractor supply fire bricks are for fire places and fire pits and rated MAYBE for 1,000f MAX. A propane forge will eat them like a 6 year old eats Halloween candy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you very much. Between thinking I needed bricks and not needing it was unclear. Would a brick still be a necessary thing on the bottom over this coating to protect it or is the coating a working surface? Will the effect on a cheap brick be only wearing away or could it explode? (I've still got 2 brand new tractor supply fire bricks I was gonna use as baffles)

Tx for help,

Will fire brick baffles definitely get my fire less lean. I want to place 1 order today w everything I need 

Tx

Thanks ifcw. May e it's regular but the flux seems to become hard clumps all over the bottom when cooked and squirted on the floor of the forge. It doesn't scrape off in full heat unless I it's really scrubbed. Last time it took the brick w it. Almost feels like it welded with metal a little 

Tx again

A fire brick that will tolerate forge temperatures is optional. I've been forge welding in the NARB forge for a couple years and if the flux on the floor starts being a problem I rake it out while it's still molten. The stuff sticks to anything so a bent rod will pick it right up. Scrape it off when molten, once it cools you'd probably damage the forge trying to chip it out. 

Kastolite and especially Plistex or Matrikote are high alumina refractories and are reasonably unaffected by flux. a 3,000f fire brick is a silica based refractory, molten flux will dissolve it after a while. 

A brick is optional it won't hurt a thing if you use one or not. Just don't use the ones from Tractor Supply your forge will get 3x hot enough destroy them in short order. Of course watching a brick crumble in a forge is kind of fun to watch. IF it's someone else's brick that is. :ph34r: 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Thomas I forgot to address that.

The doorway thermal baffles keep the heat inside the forge. Similar to keeping the oven door closed. 

Rich vs Lean is a burner adjustment issue. literally the same thing as adjusting a carburetor. They're two different things. 

Frosty The Lucky.

All you need to do is cut and paste the link in the address bar at the top of your screen to me in a PM. That way I can follow it to the video. 

It's not an unusual or special offer, we do this kind of thing for lots of people. Honest.  Relax some okay? You don't have to keep thanking me. I do this all the time it makes ME feel good if I can help someone. I'm selfish that way you know.:ph34r: If it helps you too, it's a WIN WIN! Woo HOO!:D Maybe someday we'll meet up and can do a Snoopy Happy dance to celebrate! I just hope Deb doesn't video THAT! <SHUDDER> 

It seems like I get angry everytime I'm presented with anything. I sound like Ricky Ricardo with a southern drawl when I yell so it takes me back to living by the murmans. Thanks and sincere apologies for acting unappreciative . I owned up to bring an xxxxxxxx in first post but why am I suspected of tbi? (Joking)

Did somebody on the forum give me a sponge bath? HIPPA protects me and you. (Not joking) (well a little)

Tx

Relax, you didn't yell. So you get frustrated, everybody does, it's no thing. No need to thank folks every time they make a suggestion or answers a question. Same for apologizing hold onto those until you REALLY need to get out of trouble. 

If someone on the forum is giving you sponge baths that's already too much information! Have fun but keep it to yourselves. . . PLEASE! :P

Frosty The Lucky.

No, just that TBI is a fairly common reason for having impulse control.  I'm an adult onset juvenile diabetic and so on insulin and have done the cranial concrete bounce test several times myself.  I try to reread my posts before posting them just in case the monsters in my head have taken the reins in their teeth!  (Been moderated for a typo before myself and am very thankful to the folks working to make this a site I can send kids to without worrying!)

Morning guys. If I wrote a cuss I'm sorry. I thought I wrote the burro word in a private chat w Frosty. I guess I can't tell where stuff goes. Or maybe they read chats too? Indefinately!!! The bain of every often assumed tbi's life. And impulse control, I have some. Haha. To all reading please enjoy. I think finding matrikote had me delirious. Sorry all for cussing this appears to be a public post. At least I know one thing I'm not acting like. 5000 g.

Or I can't tell yal.

• 3 months later...

Hi, i recently bought a cast masters smelting forge and trying to insulate it with the ceramic fiber blanket. I applied rigidizer first, heat treated it like the instructions stated and it became like stiff cardboard layer then applied satanite refracyory with 2 coats but each coat is cracking. I wanted to use itc 100 for the last coat but i dont know if i should scrap this and start over and maybe use fiber board instead of blanket. I believe its cracking because the blanket is able to flex but dont quote me. I just need some advice. Thank you.

I sure wish the myth of Satanite being a suitable furnace refractory would go away. Satanite is mortar, read about it on HWI's (the manufacturer) website. ANYBODY out there considering lining a forge, melter or other type furnace with Satanite. It may  be rated to 3,000f but NOT in direct contact with flame.

No, the Satanite is not cracking because the refractory blanket can flex. It is cracking because it's not supposed to be, #1 drying in open air and #2 be thicker than a layer of library paste between two bricks. 

If you can, break the Satanite out, you might be able to salvage the refractory wool, rigidize it and apply a proper flame face refractory. Kastolite-30 won't even need  kiln wash in a melter. 

If you're planning on using a waste oil burner forget about the liner lasting very long burning oils of all kinds, the fames are extremely chemically active and tend to just plain eat refractories. Oil burning boilers, furnaces, etc are designed to have completely combusted both oil and oxy before coming into contact with anything but cast iron or stainless steel. 

Frosty The Lucky.