I Forge Iron

removing paint from an Anvil.

I recently acquired an Acme anvil and some has painted it a horrible blue. I have not found anything that will take the paint off. I have tried Aircraft Remover and gasoline. I'm Tempted to put in my blast cabinet and send blast it but I'm not sure this is a good idea. any advise would d be greatly appreciated.

I thought about about Walnut shells but wasn't sure it would be OK. If it wouldn't hurt anything it would be a lot faster and more fun to use the blast cabinet than the wire wheel.

If the experts here think that the blast cabinet is fine I'll change out to walnut shells and go for it. 

If I go with walnut shells what grit would you recommend? 

• 1 year later...

Try soaking in an electrolysis tub setup that reverses rust.

On 9/27/2022 at 3:34 PM, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

Paint it a color you like, protects from rust, just don't paint the face. Of course someone may have painted it to hide flaws.

Paint on an anvil results in constant burning paint fumes in your face. Use boiled linseed oil.

Just a point about paint stripper, it works better when the surface is scratched up by around 80-150grit. It needs to reach the surface to get under the paint to be affective on quality paint.  Also it works better kept wet as in after coating, wrap it in a plastic bag to keep it from evaporating and to keep it tight to the surface for a while. Have had many times where it needs a few attempts to get the job done.

Newer paint stripper is less effective than the older stuff because of chemical and VOC laws. Same with paint gun cleaner. Lots of auto body techs are displeased with the changes. Even happened with some buffing compounds years ago. 

No reason why a sand blast wouldn't work. I would wire wheel after to smooth out the surface. Then coat with your preferred rust preventative. 

I like a quality matte clearcoat on everything but the face and top and end of the horn. Then oil or wax the rest as needed. 

14 hours ago, Frf said:

Paint on an anvil results in constant burning paint fumes in your face.

Not if you do not paint the face working surfaces. BLO on the working services (face) will also give you fumes.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

2 hours ago, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

Not if you do not paint the face working surfaces. BLO on the working services (face) will also give you fumes.

Semper Paratus

Boiled linseed oil fumes (after it is dry) aren’t toxic like burning paint fumes.

20 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Newer paint stripper is less effective than the older stuff

Same with brake cleaner. Used to be made with trichlorethylene, now is just basically nail polish remover. 

The old ATF stripped paint like nobody's business. We'd get a butt chewing if we checked or topped the ATF level without a shop rag under the dipstick or can. A drop on paint and in a couple seconds you can just pinch it off to bare metal. 

FRF If you're really concerned about paint smoke use paint that can't smoke. Header paint is sold at any auto supply. 

Building a coal fire puts more B A D smoke in your lungs than could conceivably come off an anvil even if you painted the face with Krylon.

I'm not giving you grief for being cautious but it isn't nearly as bad as you seem to think. 

My go to anvil is finished with Alex Bealer recipe bees wax metal finish and doesn't smoke when I'm forging over the edge on it's side. I've never seen the side of a painted anvil smoke but I've never seen someone using a freshly painted one so . . . 

Frosty The Lucky.

18 hours ago, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

Must be magic then to get burning paint fumes from a surface that has no paint on it.

Semper Paratus

All the surfaces of an anvil are working surfaces/swages to the initiated. As well as noxious fumes, Paint can also add a shrill pitch to the ring of an anvil.

I probably shouldn't jump into this, but hardware store "boiled" linseed oil contains driers -- metal salts that catalyze polymerization.  These remain toxic even after the product has hardened.  You can get true boiled linseed oil, without the driers, as a specialty product. 

7 hours ago, Mike BR said:

I probably shouldn't jump into this, but hardware store "boiled" linseed oil contains driers -- metal salts that catalyze polymerization.  These remain toxic even after the product has hardened.  You can get true boiled linseed oil, without the driers, as a specialty product. 

Yes, usually cobalt salts. Not like the lead, cadmium, and zinc in paint fumes.

The things in spray paint, you don’t want to breathe in. 

ormyuOg==&value=KWoTKHR7iAE=

https://www.krylon.ca/document/SDS/en/724504015796_SDS_English.pdf