I Forge Iron

Is there too much powerhammer

Hi all, im not new to hammers and had many over the years. im looking at a couple of self contained hammers, one is a beche 220 pound hammer and the other is a 350 pound hammer. 

im forging 7 pound blocks and want to do it efficiently, i have a great press and it does some stuff excellent but for sizing a block of tool steel up i want to get it done in the least heats possible and get the most done. I also dont want a one trick pony thats mainly good for doing larger stuff and no good for smaller stuff. the 220 pound hammer i can power as it is in my shop but the 350 hammer is going to cost probably 12K more in electrical and foundation setup than the 220. i have no problem spending the extra money and i know more power is always nice to have but im wondering if people out there with experience running these size hammers have an opinion on them. I think the 220 pound beche will do what i need it to and i can use for most anything but is a 350 pound hammer worth spending the extra cash on and can it do smaller work as readily as a 220. 

I should mention i know the BPM will make a difference in the two machines and both are running very well and can close matchboxes

It's been my experience with self contained hammers in good condition that the level of delicacy they can exhibit depends on the operator. I got a chance to operate a 250 lb. Chambersburg at Bob Bergman's shop and the control was exquisite, in a couple minutes I was able to brush the scale off a piece of steel and not leave an impression. 

I have a lot more time on a Kuhn 40 and it's a sweet hammer. but I don't have a lot of time on any self contained hammers.

Frosty The Lucky.

i agree the operator can do alot for controllability. ive had a few sahinlers and many different mechanicals over the years and all served very well and im spoiled in having had the pleasure of running so many. just not personally operated a larger self contained. I know the 350 will have plenty of capability to forge out the tool steel in short order over the 220. I just wonder if the larger hammer running at 160 hits per minute likely would make it harder to work smaller stock before it cools. I can work 1/2 stock under my 250 giant but based on speed and power its not as easy going to the 110 pound sahinler.  I like he idea of running a BIG hammer to get stuff done in less heats just wondered at what size stock is it simply easier and more efficient to go to a smaller hammer again.